Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique/lap quilt? >

Applique/lap quilt?

Applique/lap quilt?

Old 01-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Popover....very nice work! Not that long ago I attempted cross stitch. I couldn't see it good enough to keep at it. So I don't want to attempt hand appliqué.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by gingerd View Post
Ladies,
Has anyone machine appliquéd on a quilt that will be washed many times? If so, what type of stitch did you use to appliqué the shape?

I'm wanting to try this but don't know if the shape will be stitched down well enough not to fray at the edges.

My only appliqué experience is on the squares for the Fold'n Stitch wreath.

Thanks
I use just the satin stitch for everyday bed quilts to show quilts and even placemats because they do not fray. Working on bunnies right now.
Attached Thumbnails img_2964.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 04:30 PM

Very cute bunnies!
Old 01-14-2017, 03:41 AM

Beautiful quilt! I'm hand stitching LBB. I've been working on it two years. Nanna-up north has shown me some tricks of the trade. Nice Lady. About 25 blocks to go and work on border.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 AM

Many machines have a buttonhole stitch. I had to pull out the instruction book to find it LOL.. Works great.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Many machines have a buttonhole stitch. I had to pull out the instruction book to find it LOL.. Works great.
The other to look for would be a blanket stitch .... which is really a buttonhole stitch, opened up.

Another that can be nice for applique stitching is the double blanket stitch .... a blanket stitch, but is double stitched, so that the threads look heavier. It can very much give the appearance of hand embroidered blanket stitching. Definitely not one to use, if you are wanting your applique stitching to virtually disappear, but can be very effective.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:24 AM

I just want to share a recent experience. I purchased a Satinedge presser foot a number of years ago and just got around to trying it out. Oh, my. I absolutely love it. No extra loops or uneven stitches. Even with just a zig zag stitch it gives a very nice edge. I have no connection with the company, however if you want to check it out I suggest you Google either "C. J. Enterprises" or "Satinedge presser foot." It's a bit pricey, but after using it only once I am SOLD. Just sorry it took me so long to try it out.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I have done Wonderunder and the buttonhole stitch on a quilt that is washed about once a month for 8 years. The edges are fraying up but so far no appliques are loose. If it is a child's quilt that will be washed every week, I would use the satin stitch to finish the applique edges.
This is what I use also with no problems for years of washing.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:53 AM

I use steam a seam light and my decorative stitches--so much fun to play with the textures the cake
Old 01-14-2017, 12:53 PM

I do the same as ckcowl. Another thing I do is straight stitch the edges of the applique shapes when I quilt the top. It adds dimension and I have never had a problem (10 years) on any of the quilts with applique that I have given.
Best of luck with your quilt.
Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I appliqué baby / kids quilts all the time, they get laundered often. I use heat n bond lite for my fusible and generally a small blanket stitch. I'm not a fan of satin stitched appliqué.