Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique on patchwork >

Applique on patchwork

Applique on patchwork

Old 09-15-2015, 04:24 AM

Default Applique on patchwork

Hey all again,

I was wondering what the best way to applique onto a topper would be as it would be patchwork underneath? Would I have to hand sew or could i machine it? the worrying thing for me would be the seams underneath the topper not laying flat... or does this matter? Im very confused!

Be gentle with me, my life is a bit 'comedy of errors' atm... between my dishwasher blowing up, partner getting stuck naked in the kithen because the door handle broke, and managing to punch myself in the face hard enough to have a black eye, well... its not been a great week lol
Old 09-15-2015, 04:33 AM

Either way. I love applique on a pieced block.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:38 AM

I enjoy hand applique more, but you could really do either depending on what type of finish you're seeking. Just make sure the top is pressed well -- especially in the area you plan to applique -- before you start. Check the seams to make sure they are either pressed open or completely pressed to one side; go slowly & double check seams before feeding them through your machine or hand sewing needle to make sure they are laying properly. You should be fine. People have been sewing applique on top of patchwork for as long as there have been accidental holes. How much more fun it is to applique on top of patchwork on purpose!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 AM

Fabulous thank you! Im really looking forward to starting this commision as I have to learn something new... just need the fabric to arrive... I dont think ill hand sew it as they are large sort of complex shapes and I need four of them doing... sure the machine will cope...
Old 09-15-2015, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Most of my applique is done with a bit of Heat n Bond and I machine applique using a buttonhole stitch. Don't stress over how to do something because there are many ways to do applique.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Power Poster

Unless you have used fusible under the entire applique, another option is carefully cutting away the patchwork on the back, leaving 1/4" margin. You would do this after attaching the applique.