Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique patterns >

applique patterns

applique patterns

Old 08-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Default applique patterns

Can anyone suggest an applique pattern for a doe and fawn or any other sweet woodland animals? I am considering going on a coloring book search, tracing and creating my own. Any other ideas?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

I have coloring books and children's activity books. Got them from the dollar stores. Different size pics and easy to trace. Also have "CRITTERS Dancin' in the Moonlight" by Brandywine Design. I use the activity and coloring books the most. The outlines are so much bolder and easier to trace with freezer paper. I paid more for "CRITTERS' than I did for the dollar books. but still not waste of money. One thing about the activity books is if you want you can reduce the copies for smaller versions.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

I think that is a GREAT idea. Most applique books I have seen are mostly florals !!
Old 08-21-2014, 02:27 PM

Another good source is going to library for picture books in the kids section.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM

If you Google "printable coloring book woodland creatures" i think you will be more than surprised at what's out there.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:47 PM

McKenna Ryan has a nice one. http://www.pineneedles.com/ProductDe...ductCode=CMH06
She has other patterns on woodland animals you may want to check out.

The Bigfork Bay Cotton Company has a beautiful deer pattern called Autumn Lady.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 PM

I just did a landscape-style quilt and I used photos from the internet - just searched 'marine life of the Florida Gulf Coast' or something similar. I printed the photos in color, using high contrast and trying to size to correct proportions for the quilt, then I used tracing paper and a light box to pencil in the outline and the important parts of the photo where there would be color changes (birds had orange feet, black legs, white feathery bodies in partly shadow, beaks, etc etc). I marked the tracing with the different fabrics I would have to use use for the critter, then traced the tracing again - one color on each sheet - so that I could cut out the pieces. If I was feeling confident, I used the gluey-backed wonder-under or whatever it's called for that last part, other wise just regular tracing paper so I could use it again and again if I screwed up, so I wouldn't waste the wonder-under.

Of course I had to audition lots of its of different bits of fabric for the fish parts and the grayish feathers...kept losing the bid feet and legs and fish-eyes...but other than feeling like I had fallen into the fabric scrap bag of the Jolly Green Giant it was great fun.

Enjoy! Sounds like you have a great project started!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:33 PM

do a online search for childrens coloring pages. a tip i rec'd from an online friend several years ago. every subject and critter covered. perfect for applique (what she did a lot of) and for children play time - which i & my grand treasures do a lot of . i print up multiple copies of what i think they'll enjoy when i go down to visit.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:08 AM

I have several applique books, but one has no fawn and doe. it does have porky the pig, curious bunnies, mama sheep and lamb, goose n clover, cats. rover, beaver, cow, owls, kitty, duck, tractor, raccoon, mama duck and little ones. turtle.
if you are interested, e mail me and I will send it your way. juanita
Old 08-22-2014, 05:36 AM

If you go in to Google 'Images' and type '-------- Colouring Pages' you'll find lots of images. Another search I use in images is 'Cute ----'

There's some cute ones here.