Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Applique pressing sheet

Applique pressing sheet

Is there anything else that can be use for the applique pressing sheet? I have a need for it, but have no quilt shops near. It seems I have read here on the board that there was an alternative. Thanks for your help.

All I have ever used is an old thin tea towel.

I've never used anything between the iron and the fusible. Since the sticky part is facing toward the fabric, I did not think it needed it. The kit that I just bought says I will need this, but I do not know.....
    Anne L. Fulton

Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake.

Power Poster
    Is it appliqué with a lot of different pieces that you make into one large appliqué before pressing it to the background fabric? If so you need a Teflon pressing sheet. This allows you to peel the backing off all your pieces, layer, overlap and fuse them together on the sheet. The whole appliqué will then peel off the sheet ready to go. I don't know any other method for doing this.
    If it is a pressing sheet for going over the top of appliqué when you iron it down, could you use tin foil? I would try a sample first before trying it on my actual appliqué. I usually just iron my fusible appliqué down to the background without anything on top.

Blog Entries
    I got mine from Joann's . It is made by Fons & Porter. Used a coupon so made it reasonably priced. http://www.joann.com/fons-porter-mul...heet/prd53546/

here is a link to a thread here on the board that suggests using parchment paper instead. Help with McKenna Ryan pattern please!

or you can order one from Walmart and have it shipped free to the store. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bear-Threa...Sheet/12460890
    Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 05-02-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Is it appliqué with a lot of different pieces that you make into one large appliqué before pressing it to the background fabric? If so you need a Teflon pressing sheet. This allows you to peel the backing off all your pieces, layer, overlap and fuse them together on the sheet. The whole appliqué will then peel off the sheet ready to go. I don't know any other method for doing this.
    If it is a pressing sheet for going over the top of appliqué when you iron it down, could you use tin foil? I would try a sample first before trying it on my actual appliqué. I usually just iron my fusible appliqué down to the background without anything on top.
    Yes Tartan, it is the teflon pressing sheet. I thought I read that there is something else that works. Seems like it may have been parchment paper? Anyone have any experence wht that?

Power Poster
    I wonder if the oven Teflon? sheets would work? They are sheets made to allow you to peel off spills in the oven. I don't know how much they are and it might be too expensive for an experiment.

[QUOTE=auntpiggylpn;6039289]

here is a link to a thread here on the board that suggests using parchment paper instead. Help with McKenna Ryan pattern please!

Thank you auntpiggy. That is exactly the link I was remembering! I'll be out and about today, and will pick up some parchment paper.

Blog Entries
    yes, parchment paper also works. i have used it before. and parchment paper is the material attached to wonder under.
    Nancy in western NY

I would think that wax paper would also work.
    Gloria 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast