Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique question >

applique question

applique question

Old 02-06-2007, 06:58 AM

Vicki, I'm gonna try that! My applique always looks bad. I think I can do that.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:40 AM

Just be careful of corners when you turn. I once poked all the way through at a corner. Got a little too enthusiastic about a really sharp corner. Also make sure you use used dryer sheets. The perfume or softner or something will stain your fabric when pressing if the sheets are brand new. All of this I larned the hard way. Hope it helps. :D
Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Suz

Vicki,
Yes, I have used the dryer sheets and they work well. Once you have pressed the sides out after turning, cut away the extra dryer sheet leaving just a rim of dryer sheet. This will remove another layer if you are hand quilting.
Also, if you have a pile of sheets to press before using, cover your surface with a scrap of fabric as you will have a build up of "softener" on your pressing surface. Not pretty, but it smells great. Suzanne
Old 02-08-2007, 03:24 AM

Vicki
I have used them; I collect a stack first, place them in a laundry bag and toss it in the dryer a few times with the laundry until they are really soft; I want to try to wash them first, but did not get to that yet. I also try different ones and chose the one I like the most, “Bounce”. You would think they are all the same, but not true; some are softer than others. :roll:
Lucia
Old 02-08-2007, 05:21 AM

Thre was a ladythatwent to the same church as I did that used to drop them off at the house by the bags full--came in handy, cause that was a lot more than I'd ever use. Sometimes just to be safe, I'd toss a handful in the dryer with a load-just to make sure they had all the softner out of them.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by GeeGee
Ok, I tried to post this once...pardon the duplicate if it shows up later :oops: .

Hi Kathy, sorry this has taken so long. I got distracted by dirty dishes and laundry :-) . I realized as I was posting a picture of one of my quilts that I had done blanket stitching on it. I used pink floss on 1/2 the blocks and blue on the other half. Here's a pic of one of the blocks...
[

color=black][/color]
Old 03-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Hi GeeGee, I am new to this forum. I saw your darling quilt block you posted back in December for Kathy about applique and the blanket stitch. The square had a 5 petal flower which consisted of five circles. How can I get that pattern? Thanks for any help you can give to me.
marymargaret
Old 03-28-2007, 06:15 PM

I've been trying out this applique stuff! I'm even beginning to enjoy it. :lol:

Now, Ruth Cozadd recommended an Avery glue pen. I found one at Staples today but it said it was a permament glue. I have always thought we wanted a washable glue. HELP! I wanted to try some of the different methods that have been posted but this one really has me stumped.

A very belated thanks to Suz for her detailed directions. They are so clear and easy to follow.

Thank you to everyone who has shared all of their wisdom here. It's most appreciated!
:D
Old 03-30-2007, 03:05 AM

I also tried the Avery glue and I understood is permanent on paper, but washable on fabric. I do not have the package anymore.
And I take the opportunity to thank Ruth Cozad for this great information. I never liked glue on freezer paper, but I think I will change my appliqué method.
Lucia
Attached Thumbnails img_0448.jpg   img_0449.jpg   img_0450.jpg   img_0455.jpg  
Old 03-30-2007, 06:37 AM

Hello again, the Avery glue pen is not permant on the fabric or the freezer paper I have never had any problem getting mine out. The fabric glue sticks I tried were much more difficut for me. Remember the instructions on the lable are not what we are using the glue for. Also if in doubt always do a sample first.