Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Question >

Applique Question

Applique Question

Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 AM

I am just beginning applique, and I am learning on my own. I just finished a Halloween wallhanging that I did a blanket stitch in black on all the appliques. I think I learned from that, that black looks great, but not the color to use on everything. The question for now is: You know you place applique pieces in a certain order, well on the first wallhanging I done, I placed all of my pieces and then I did the stitching. Is it easier to stitch as you go even though parts of the pieces will be covered by other pieces? And what is the trick to keeping your stitches even and going around all those curves? Is that another practice, practice, practice thing? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 AM

If I am using fusable web I tend to put them on all at once and use the blanket stitch. If I am doing applique where the edge is folded under and stitched down with a tiny whip stitch they go on one at a time.

If you are doing the blanket stitch around an outside curve like around the edge of a circle you need to slant the stitches going onto the applique piece slightly toward each other. They will look slightly closer together like you are starting to make small triangles (without making the point). Keep the outside spacing the same. On inside curves make them like you are starting a V with the outside stitches just a bit longer.

I hope it helps you
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 AM

I do think that the more you do the better you get at doing it. I also have found thst there is a certain rythem (sp?) to it. If you go away from it for a while you sort of get out of sync. Keep it up. Hand applique is relaxing and rewarding.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
I am just beginning applique, and I am learning on my own. I just finished a Halloween wallhanging that I did a blanket stitch in black on all the appliques. I think I learned from that, that black looks great, but not the color to use on everything. The question for now is: You know you place applique pieces in a certain order, well on the first wallhanging I done, I placed all of my pieces and then I did the stitching. Is it easier to stitch as you go even though parts of the pieces will be covered by other pieces? And what is the trick to keeping your stitches even and going around all those curves? Is that another practice, practice, practice thing? Thanks in advance for your help.
It would depend on how big the pieces are and how much of one applique is under another. If there is a lot of material on the underneath, then I'd use at least a wobble [small and long zigazag stitch]. I tend to cut away anything that is too large underneath so this isn't a problem.

I do each part separately as it provides a definite design line ... sorta like outline when we drew with our crayons as kids.

I do use a glue stick to put down my pieces. I go slowly and reposition my needle fairly often especially on curves.

Yep, it is P, P, P ... P=practice.

Have fun.

ali
Old 09-01-2011, 06:19 AM

When you go around curves, think of it like a clock face and pivot around at each number. Try to imagine a series of straight lines all around the curve. When the curve moves off your imaginary straight line, it's time to pivot.