Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Applique Question

Question Applique Question

I am new to applique so do not know all the ins and outs of it. I have a few patterns for small wall hangings (20"x20" or smaller). The directions state to use Heavy Weight Fusible Web to fuse everything down. No were does it say to stitch around the edges. No matter if it is Heavy Weight or not, wont Fusible Web let loose in time???
    Julie

Blog Entries
    I would think if it is washed it might give away - I use Heat n Bond Lite and sew around the edges. If you use the heavyweight that they recommend and still want to sew it , make sure it is sewable. Not all of them are sewable Some also use Wonder Under
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

if they are calling for heavy weight fusable it is considered a wall=hanging which will not be laundered- the fusable-if used according to instructions should not pull away- it is a no-sew product- if you are making items that will be laundered- want to stitch your appliques you need a lightweight fusable- like steam a seam lite- or heat n bond light-or wonder under--- the heavy weight ones will gum up your needles and are very difficult to stitch through- since they are not designed for that.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'm no expert on wall hangings; but I would think that the heavy weight fusible web would hold up if you don't plan to wash it. I use a very light weight fusible web for applique on quilts and either satin stitch or use a blanket stitch around the applique since my quilts will be washed. I also use Stitch & Ditch Heirloom, a paper stabelizer, underneath the applique. The paper stabelizer is easy to tear away.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to add that if you're going to use it in a bed quilt it will also make your applique'd pieces cardboard hard.

Oops, just re-read post--answered the wrong question It should be fine in a wall hanging.
    Last edited by virtualbernie; 12-04-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Bernie