Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique question >

Applique question

Applique question

Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 AM

Default Applique question

I don't do a lot of applique, but when I do it's usually needle turn. I am starting a baby quilt where I'll use fusible applique. My question- what fusible product do you think has the "softest" finish? Since it is a baby quilt, I don't want the applique pieces to be too stiff. Thank you for your advice.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:40 AM

I like Steam a seam lite. Then cut out the center of the fusible before applying it to the fabric. You will only have the fusible around the outer edges of the appliqué piece
Old 04-02-2016, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I use Heat n Bond light because that is what is easily available for me. On larger application, I cut the center portion out leave 3/8' for the outside edge.
Attached Thumbnails flip-flop-back.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 08:10 AM

Misty Fuse is definitely the least stiff. I source it from Amazon. Also, be sure to window your fabric. Here's how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_m84NtcyUk

Honestly, though, I usually just get Pellon 805 Wonder Under at JAF & never get complaints because I wash twice before gifting it. The thing that makes the most difference in stiffness in my experience is the thread build-up from satin stitching. I do a 1/8" blanket/button hole stitch.

PS- I've never used it personally, but I've heard Bon-Ash 007 Bonding Agent is even lighter. They are crystals that you sprinkle on fabrics. I haven't tried it because I don't know what's in it & I wonder if it is more difficult to achieve perfect bonding with it. I can't speak to that one way or another. I have had many happy (high end) baby quilt customers with Pellon 805 so that's what I stick with when if I'm using fusible.

Last edited by Bree123; 04-02-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Misty fuse is very light. Fusible washes away when the quilt is laundered, so even if you use heat n bond lite and it feels a little stiff, it's going to disappear when you launder the quilt upon completion.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:40 AM

I like Soft-fuse. http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Fuse-Prem...dp/B004KYTNBO/

Never heard of Misty Fuse, but looks like I'm gonna have to try it too. Always looking for the lightest fusible, but with paper backing that stays put until I'm ready to peel.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

I love soft fuse too. Very soft and easy to handle.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Misty fuse is very light. Fusible washes away when the quilt is laundered, so even if you use heat n bond lite and it feels a little stiff, it's going to disappear when you launder the quilt upon completion.
Very few fusibles claim they wash-away & I'm not sure that would be desirable. The only double-sided fusible I know of that washes away is Dritz Wonder Tape which I've used for hemming pants -- but with hemming, you're working with a turned or serged edge, not a raw edge that can fray. If you want a temporary adhesive for satin stitched or turned edge applique, I'd go with Elmer's Washable School Glue rather than Wonder Tape.

Fusibles are designed to permanently fuse the 2 pieces of fabric together. If you apply it properly & launder as indicated, one should never be able to separate the 2 fabrics where the fusible is applied (and even if they do separate due to user error, the fusible will still be on the fabric). Each fusible has different instructions for application. Read & follow them very carefully. I use a muslin pressing cloth to make sure I'm not overdrying the fusible when adhering it with the iron. Then, I always tell clients/recipients to wash in cold water on the gentle cycle and tumble dry on low heat -- no bleach or fabric softener. If you do all those things, the fusible should form a strong permanent bond between your fabrics that becomes softer with each wash but doesn't break down and separate. Fusible will allow you to do a generous 1/4" stitch around your applique without worrying about it fraying.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:57 PM

I just found the best video on YouTube under the Fat Quarter Shop series. Edyta Sitar showed how to use Heat and bond lite.

http://youtu.be/G3-2M5II9sE
Old 04-02-2016, 06:03 PM

I like tricot