Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique Stick - Any one have this? >

Applique Stick - Any one have this?

Applique Stick - Any one have this?

Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Default Applique Stick - Any one have this?

I saw it on The Quilt Show and looks interesting. Any one have this and use it? Where do you purchase it?
Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 PM

Can you describe what you are asking about? I haven't heard of an applique stick.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:18 PM

Sounds interesting, tell us more...
Old 05-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I found this tutorial:
http://fabrictherapy.blogspot.com/20...-part-one.html

I do freezer paper applique (for machine applique) with the freezer paper ironed to the wrong side of the fabric. I tried glue sticks, but found it's a lot easier for me if I use Elmer's white school paste. This is the old stuff we had in kindergarten 60+ years ago and smells of peppermint! Unfortunately, Elmer's discontinued making the paste. When I couldn't find it in stores locally, I stocked up online and sealed the ones I'm not using in a bag -- so hopefully they will last me awhile.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 AM

It looked like a metal stick flat on one side to turn the fabric on to the glued edge. I googled but have not seen anything like this yet. Will keep you posted when I do find it.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I found this tutorial:
http://fabrictherapy.blogspot.com/20...-part-one.html

I do freezer paper applique (for machine applique) with the freezer paper ironed to the wrong side of the fabric. I tried glue sticks, but found it's a lot easier for me if I use Elmer's white school paste. This is the old stuff we had in kindergarten 60+ years ago and smells of peppermint! Unfortunately, Elmer's discontinued making the paste. When I couldn't find it in stores locally, I stocked up online and sealed the ones I'm not using in a bag -- so hopefully they will last me awhile.

This is a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing...she is using a stilleto which has a smaller tip than then one I am looking for.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 AM

Took a pic from the video so you can see what I am talking about - the lady says they are from Spain!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477329[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ap-stick.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

You can pick up those cheapy little eyeglass repair kits. They work great. I use a wooden skewer also and just shave one end flat and squared. I have a poultry shears to cut the ends of the skewer. Of course the poultry shears are labeled for the craft/sewing room. The flat end of the skewer helps to spread the glue along the edge of the applique.
Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
It looked like a metal stick flat on one side to turn the fabric on to the glued edge. I googled but have not seen anything like this yet. Will keep you posted when I do find it.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

Another thing you can use is the 7 in 1 screwdriver you can pick up from your local hardware store/Home Depot or Lowe's. They're about $7.00. It also has a magnetic telescope. I have several for my Jeep, purse, and sewing/craft room.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:59 AM

Great tute....I really have to make hand appliqué a personal challenge soon...and this tute has really tempted me to start soon