Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
applique? >

applique?

applique?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:07 PM

Default applique?

What is the best sewing foot to use for applique? I've been told a plastic open toe, was hoping to get some feedback. I am doing satin stitch, also should I use some kind of stabilizer? Thank you for your help. Michele
Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1530 and I use the #23 foot. It is clear plastic without an opening in the front but that is all they made back in the 90s. I have had no problems with my stitches mostly buttonhole for applique.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 PM

You will want to use the plastic open toe applique foot so you can see the edge of the applique piece. I use coffee filters for my stabilizer as it only costs $1 for a pkg at the $ tree, it's acid free, and tears away easily.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

You do need a foot that you can see the edge of the appliqué with. It can be an open toe foot or a clear foot. Some kind of stabilizer on the back will prevent "tunneling" that is when the satin stitching pulls up the background fabric causing ripples. A coffee filter will work if you don't have a tear away stabilizer. On a light background, you may have to trim away the filter after the satin stitching?
Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
You do need a foot that you can see the edge of the appliqué with. It can be an open toe foot or a clear foot. Some kind of stabilizer on the back will prevent "tunneling" that is when the satin stitching pulls up the background fabric causing ripples. A coffee filter will work if you don't have a tear away stabilizer. On a light background, you may have to trim away the filter after the satin stitching?
I agree with the feet...I use coffee filters also...they tear away easily and the little that is under the stitching never seems to be a problem after washing.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:23 PM

I use an open toe foot (which of course didn't come with the machine) that does not have any plastic "guides" in the center. The feet with the guides are a problem. When you try to look at where your needle is going in, the plastic distorts it, so half the time you aren't actually in the right place.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I use the plastic open-toe foot for my satin and blanket stitch applique. Recently, I learned about Ricky Tims interfacing that you can leave in. Really like to work with it. However, I do have some tear-away interfacing as well. It does make a difference as the thickness between the layers is different and without interfacing, the applique can easily get puckered.