Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique >

Applique

Applique

Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 AM

DMC does make embroidery thread on spools.

http://www.harriethargrave.com/DMC-M...-50-2-p24.html

I've used it for embroidery before.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I don't see why you couldn't use 2 strands of floss for applique, it would be easy to match the floss to the fabrics. If you're like me, I have lots of floss left over from my embroidery days, so it would put my "stash of floss" to good use. I would test for whether or not the floss will run - I ruined a fairly complicated cross stitch piece when I washed it and the red floss ran, ruining all that effort.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:16 PM

I have embroidered for many years and have three plastic cases full of DMC thread - at one time every color they had which was over 300. I have never had any DMC thread run. When I do hand embroidery I do a blanket stitch so I want my stitches to show. I've been making embroideried baby quilts for my grandbabies for over 20 years with no problems. In fact, I thought DMC advertised their thread was colorfast.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:22 PM

I watched half the video.

I use freezer paper method but leave it on. I don't understand why you would cut it and then trace about it and remove it. If I am working with a small piece, I would trace directly onto the fabric.

I use the threads mentioned YLI silk 100wt and Mettler 60 or 50.

I am relearning hand embroidery and have not had any problems with DMC floss. I wouldn't recommend it for applique, unless someone is doing a blanket stitch or a stitch they want visible.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:18 AM

I needle-turn hand applique and have for several years. I always use a thin 2-ply thread either 50 or 60 weight. I hold my work in my hands to sew to work the needle. I'm curious how one would hand applique with a hoop.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:50 AM

I do some needle-turn applique but mostly raw edge with a blanket stitch using embroidery floss and I too, am curious how you would do it in a hoop.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:14 AM

If I do had applique, I use a q snap, pull it tight. But before I use the DMC, I vinegar wash it to set the color. i've been in the Embroidery guild for years, so even if i do a sampler, with red or black thread, I set the color with a vinegar was. Use a sharp needle (maybe a 9), and blanket stitch.

For machine, I do whatever color, blanket stitch or satin stitch.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I do like to use a hoop for hand appliqué because I tend to scrunch my work up too much if it don't. I also prevents me from pulling my thread too tight causing the background to pucker.
Could you explain how you hand applique using a hoop please? I have to scrunch mine in my hand to turn under the edges with my needle and do corners, points, etc. Thank you.