Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: applique?

Do you have to stitch around your applique if you use an iron on adhesive like heatbond lite? I just can't get the stitching down... lookgs great until I do that then it looks pooey.

If I'm going to make a wall hanging I usually don't bother, but it is going to be washed than I do.

Are you using a stabilizer under it? If you use something to stabilize the fabric the puckering will go away. When stitching around go slowly and use a stitch you are comfortable with.

Google machine applique tutorials and see if any thing pops up that could help. Also do a search on this site for the same.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My stitches started looking better after I followed a suggestion from this board to starch the background block into cardboard. It made the stitches much smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    My stitches started looking better after I followed a suggestion from this board to starch the background block into cardboard. It made the stitches much smoother.
    I too am working on applique right now and that's what I'm doing - heavy starch on the background block and I use Elmer's School glue to attach the applique piece while I'm sewing. The glue also make everything stiff, and washes out! It's working out GREAT!!

At the beginning you may want to match the thread to the applique so it hides that stitching. You will like it a lot better as you improve.

Thanks so much for all your imputs... I guess I will just have to keep trying I googled it and saw some pics and think I'm doing a little better... was using the wrong stitch. Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    If I'm going to make a wall hanging I usually don't bother, but it is going to be washed than I do.
    I agree, if you need to wash it, then stich it.