Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique >

Applique

Applique

Old 06-12-2008, 02:52 AM

I have read that Invisfill (a very fine polyester 100wt) and then 2 ply 50 wt cotton are threads to use for applique. I havae the video of applique from the Piece O'Cake Way. They are cotton thread users. Can anyone tell the difference or is this one of those persoanl preferences? On the video they were saying that polyester in time could actually cut the fabric and that you don't want a thread stronger than your fabric.

There are so many ways to do applique. I have to learn turn needle just to say I have learned it, but I like the starch method (watching it ) I haven't really worked with any method yet. I'm still in the planning stage.
CHOICES, CHOICES, WHAT IS A GRIL TO DO!!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:30 AM

I take appy along to hand stitch while I wait, I also do hand embriodery and hand piecing, all of these go places well Jolo
Old 05-04-2010, 05:37 AM

I should have said this in the above note. I use silk thread as it blends in and hides itself well if matched to what you are appliquing. Cotton works well but silk better for me. Jolo
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Thanks! I wanted to learn how to do applique, and those websites are great!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 AM

I've done a lot of applique and my favorite method is needle-turn. You're talking about doing the Baltimore Blues, I'm doing the Baltimore Bliss. Since this will be your first one, you should think about using a washable marker/or fine mechanical pencil to set your pattern on the block. If you don't have a light box, then tape the pattern to a nice bright window and do it that way (the way I do it).

Can't figure out how to change the color, so I'm going to leave spaces between statements. Some of the statements are in the box!! LOL Computers!! Oh my!!

Originally Posted by okie
That is the site I was on the peaked my interest. I just don't really know how to start. I want to to the Baltimore Blues but I better start with something a little smaller, then work my way up. I have a sheet that shows me how to start, but I need one that gives the applique stitch you use,

I cut out all my pieces and then pin them to the material. Take a mechanical pencil and lightly trace the shape onto the material. When it comes time to cutting out the shape, most people do 1/4", I usually cut approx. and 1/8" away from the line. That way there's not as much to turn under or give extra bulk that you need to figure out what to do with.

I use a slip stitch. When you do needle-turn the stitch becomes almost invisible.

how you join pieces that are connected or butt up against each other.

When you're layering pieces, I do just the outside portion and just the ends up on the inside, because when you sew on the next piece it won't have as much bulk. Sometimes with leaves you need to actually applique them on top of something. That's OK, its exactly what you do.

I hope this helps me relax. I need it. I saw one on Sindy's site of a chicken that was large pieces and thought I might try that first. I understand how the freezer paper techique works but I still have questions. I would like to learn the turn under with the needle instead of ironing it down. Do you take the freezer paper off before you start this, and if so how do you keep the shape? I have the questions in my mind but I may not be asking them right? Please excuse type o's and unstructed sentences. Hope you can read between the lines and make sense of my ramblings.
I don't use freezer paper for needle-turn. I pin the shape onto the block, make my knot, bury the knot and start sewing. One thing that I have learned is not to start at the outside ends, especially when doing leaves, it'll screw up your leaf points.

I hope this helps some? :? You can PM me if I've confused you?

Good Luck!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingchic
Piece O cake books are great to learn appligue I have the applique delight book and the welcome to the north pole. The books show you many ways to applique and are ere easy to follow
http://www.pieceocake.com/Books/Books.html
Dawn
I also use the Piece O' Cake needle turn applique method and love it. I was very resistant to hand applique, but wanted to challenge myself to learn something new. I took a class that taught the POC method and now I thoroughly enjoy it. I've carried my applique everywhere to work on when I had time to spare. I just recently finished a project and haven't started a new one. I feel like something is missing when I travel because I don't have my applique to work on.