Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Applique-Water Soluable Stablizer >
  • Applique-Water Soluable Stablizer

• Applique-Water Soluable Stablizer

Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Applique-Water Soluable Stablizer

I have been looking for water soluable stablizer and found flimsy stablizer at JoAnn's. The one I am looking for is stiff. One of my guild members uses it as a template for small applique pieces. She used the stablizer as a sort of template, then fabric glue around the outside of the piece, glued it down and then was ready to applique. I haven't been able to find anything heavy enough for this. I don't know the girls name or I would call her. Can anyone here give me help with this. I have applique pieces that are probably about an inch tall and can't get my head around how to prepare the pieces. Any help will be appeciated.
    Old 04-13-2013, 07:27 PM

maybe this??? they are out of stock but I am not sure if this is it or not
    http://www.sewforless.com/item/Wunde...FW6CQgodB2gAew
    Here is a different kind also http://www.amazon.com/Badgemaster-So.../dp/B004M0FQGM

Last edited by BeckyB; 04-13-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: add more
    Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Superior Thread Company has 2 strengths of Dissolve and Dissolve 4X. They have a small sample on their 'try me special' that is 1/2 yard. They also have a description of which product is best with which need. They have a lot of education available on their website. Hope this helps.
    Mary
    Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM
    Power Poster

This kind is new, and I saw it at JoAnn's today:
    http://www.amazon.com/Wash-Away-Appl...dp/1571209190/

The fusible part of it is what's new; it is a fusible version of something that has been on the market for some time, and it is probably the older version that you saw demonstrated (because she used glue for the edges).

I'm almost positive this non-fusible version is what Sharon Schamber uses and sells:
    http://www.purpledaisiesllc.com/Appl...ation_s/71.htm It is probably the heavy weight that you saw demo'd.

Edit: I should mention that these stabilizers are not *entirely* water soluble. They do dissolve, but fibers are left inside the applique after washing. Sharon explains this in her book. I should maybe add that I bought Sharon's stabilizer several years ago, but did not like it as much as freezer paper for machine applique. I don't know which weight I got (at that time there was only one version on the website), but assume it was the medium weight on the website which is sold for machine applique. I found it difficult to get a sharp edge with this stabilizer and went back to using freezer paper (which must be removed).

Last edited by Prism99; 04-13-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Sulky makes a product called Paper Solvy that sounds perfect for you; according to the website...."Use Paper Solvy as a base, backing, or topper, with or without printing a design on it, for Quilting Designs, Appliqué,..."

Jan in VA