Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Appliqued Baby Quilt >

Appliqued Baby Quilt

Appliqued Baby Quilt

Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 AM

I'm new to applique and am trying to make a butterfly baby quilt. I've made the template to iron the extra allowance so that it will keep raw edges underneath. However, there is a body to these things and I feel like I need eight hands to get all this pressed under. There must be an easier way?? Please? There's eighteen of them and I've fought my way through six so far. Love the quilt, but do not think I'll ever make another like it at this point!!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 AM

You can make card board templates, minus the seam allowances, out of cereal boxes. Then lay them down on your peaces & iron the seams over the card board. Or you can use used dryer sheets & sew the peaces to it & snip the middle of the dryer sheet & turn right side out & press. They are much easier to applique down.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Halo
You can make card board templates, minus the seam allowances, out of cereal boxes. Then lay them down on your peaces & iron the seams over the card board. Or you can use used dryer sheets & sew the peaces to it & snip the middle of the dryer sheet & turn right side out & press. They are much easier to applique down.
That's the way I will try on my next one, but I just used a soft fusible on my first and then feather stitched the pieces down, by machine. I don't hand stitch too well.LOL
Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Thank you Halo. That's what I'm doing, but the butterflies have the bodies in there which are two semi-circles in the center on either end. I have no trouble with the wings with the method you described, but those bodies are a nightmare! I was hoping there was some easier way. I may have to just hand-stitch this stuff down before using the machine, but feel I'm having to fight this a lot harder than I think I should be. I just don't know how to make it any easier. I've done the snips & all that does is make things worse because now I've got that many more pieces to fight with. LOL!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:55 AM

Another idea is to use a glue stick if you have one. Just put a little glue on the part you turn under & as you fold it under, it should stay in place for you to stitch down.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Spray a little starch around the edges, or spray the starch into the lid of the cup and use a little brush to paint the edges. Then iron them in place :D:D:D
Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Another idea is to use a glue stick if you have one. Just put a little glue on the part you turn under & as you fold it under, it should stay in place for you to stitch down.
Thank you, that just might do it. I haven't thought of those since our kids were little. I'll pick one up! You may have just saved my sanity! LOL!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :-)
Old 10-17-2010, 04:14 PM

I went right out and got one and it's working like a charm!! I'm now working on #10 of 18. :-) Thank you so much!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 AM

I'm glad that you got help. Sounds like a really cute quilt and definitely worth the trouble.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 AM

And believe it or not, the more you do it, the easier it gets. There are so many methods to use, that it's good to several until we find the one that fits us the best.

I'm happy the glue stick method worked for you. You can also use Roxanne's Glue Baste exactly like the glue stick.

I can't wait to see your top! I bet it's cute :)
Debbie in Austin