Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aqua Net as a basting spray? >

Aqua Net as a basting spray?

Aqua Net as a basting spray?

Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
Originally Posted by Rose Hall
I get my backing really smooth by washing my fabric, and then starching it really well. When I lay it on the floor I use masking tape or painters tape to hold it in place. I then tape the batting to the floor as well. I'm lucky, in that, I can do this at work where I have enough floor space.
Rose Hall
I completely forgot about starch. Do you use spray starch? :?:
I mix liquid starch (like you would use in the wash) in a spray bottle with water. Don't have an exact ratio, if I need more stiffness in my fabric I use more starch, less stiffness--more water. It's cheaper than buying the pre-made spray--I'm all about cheap!!!!

Have a GREAT Friday everyone!

Rose H.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltntime
I get my backing really smooth by washing my fabric, and then starching it really well. When I lay it on the floor I use masking tape or painters tape to hold it in place. I then tape the batting to the floor as well. I'm lucky, in that, I can do this at work where I have enough floor space.
Rose Hall
I completely forgot about starch. Do you use spray starch? :?:
I mix liquid starch (like you would use in the wash) in a spray bottle with water. Don't have an exact ratio, if I need more stiffness in my fabric I use more starch, less stiffness--more water. It's cheaper than buying the pre-made spray--I'm all about cheap!!!!

Have a GREAT Friday everyone!

Rose H.
Thank you for your quick response. I would like to finish this quilt for a friend who has been very sick for a long time. I know she will appreciate it, and not care if there's puckering on the back, but it's still frustrating. Starching sounds like the ideal answer.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM

:D LOL sorry can't help it!! I wouldn't use just for the fact I used it on my hair back in the 60's with our bouffant hairdos. Smelled bad but we endured it anyway. Ignor
Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 PM

:D LOL sorry can't help it!! I wouldn't use it just for the fact I used it on my hair back in the 60's with our bouffant hairdos. Smelled bad but we endured it anyway.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

I have used aqua net a lot of times on small quilts and totes,,,,works great!!! And smells good too!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:16 AM

Have you tried Hobb's Fusible Batting? I like it. You layer your quilt and iron. It keeps everything from shifting.
Angie
Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 AM

Thanks for all the great hints!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 AM

I put the back down on my quilt table with the very big 2 inch binder quilts. You an get one containter from Staples for a reasonable price. I just clip the backing to my quilt table, place the batting and top on and then either pin, or baste depending on whether I am going to machine quilt or hand quilt.

Di
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 AM

Do you stretch the backing before you pin? I use masking tape (If the table top is too thick, or if it's on the floor) If you are pinning on a table, you can use big binder clips to secure the quilt backing. Then put the batting and top on to pin. This usually prevents the bunching that leads to pleats on the back.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ambquilter
Have you tried Hobb's Fusible Batting? I like it. You layer your quilt and iron. It keeps everything from shifting.
Angie
No, I haven't tried the fusible batting. I will give it a try. Thanks for the info.