Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arggh Spray Starch!! >

Arggh Spray Starch!!

Arggh Spray Starch!!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I make my own starch. Easy and cheap. I can't stand all those aerosol sprays.
Don't know why people keep using those. They are bad for your health and for the environment.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t158141-2.html
Great, thank you. I wear dress shirts and like them with starch, but I don't send them out. I've avoided sprays because of the mess. (Pump spray doesn't solve the problem of non-target starch residue.) I'm going to try this with my next project using Osnaburg, which is pretty floppy stuff. I think it'll handle much better if it's starched.

I take the warning seriously about starch making fabric attractive to insects. I've had some good clothing ruined by moths. Is there anything you can add to the starch when you treat to repel them? Do people still use mothballs for storage?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:53 PM

Your body is screaming at you to stop, so listen to it. No quilt is worth your health, no matter who it is for.

Finish it without the starch. If it doesn't turn out as wonderful as you imagined, that's ok. Your health comes first, and I'm pretty sure your DD would agree.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Your body is screaming at you to stop, so listen to it. No quilt is worth your health, no matter who it is for.

Finish it without the starch. If it doesn't turn out as wonderful as you imagined, that's ok. Your health comes first, and I'm pretty sure your DD would agree.
Who wouldn't agree? Nobody is suggesting that anyone risk their health, and finishing the quilt without spray starch is not the only option, as the comments above have clearly demonstrated.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:12 PM

Are you using the canned starch or the concentrated, that you dilute 50/50 and put in a spray bottle(or at least I do)?

I've had some starched fabrics in my drawers without any problems. I believe that if you don't have an insect(silverfish) problems before that you won't have a problem with them if you start using starch,IMHO.

Last edited by pocoellie; 10-30-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:57 PM

I know I am in a minority, a very small minority, but I avoid chemicals whenever possible, basically for health and environmental issues. I prewash all fabrics to remove chemicals and don't add any back if I can help it. I avoid products with ingredients I can't pronounce. There are exceptions like fusible for applique because I don't have another alternative. I even use natural cleaners in the house when I can. Chemicals are so pervasive in our lives that I use more than I realize or want to. But if a chemical or product causes a health issue, it isn't worth it. I used Magic sizing on the second quilt I ever made, but I had breathing issues so never again and my quilts have turned out fine.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
I take the warning seriously about starch making fabric attractive to insects. I've had some good clothing ruined by moths. Is there anything you can add to the starch when you treat to repel them? Do people still use mothballs for storage?
Don't use mothballs. It smells horrible and the smell will stick to your fabric/clothing forever.
BTDT. Some add a few drops of lavender oil but I've never tried. Cornstarch is cheap
so I usually make a new batch for each project.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Niagra non-aerosol. My boys love the scent, lol.
Yes, I use this non aerosol spray which dies a good job. I spray heavily and the iron it to dry , nicr and crisp best for FMQ on.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:03 AM

Best press comes in a spritzer bottle, not aerosol. It doesn't spray all over the place like an aerosol can does.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:05 AM

I love using Best Press, but I have to use the unscented version. I have never checked, but perhaps they make an unscented starch.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:16 AM

I don't starch any of the fabric I piece, actually I don't prewash either.......when I read starch until stiff like paper, makes my piecing so precise .......I wonder if the piecing would be just as good without the starching, maybe just because the person is just improving on sewing skills...

I have been quilting for over 20 yrs......love the feel of the fabric, don't want to sew paper........and my seams, points, y seams, curves are matching, but it takes accuracy in cutting and matching and slow sewing to get that, not starch!