Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: argh-tucks in quilting. How big does it have to be to make you take it out?

Blog Entries
    I'm doing straight line quilting on the QFK quilt. I got a tuck about 1/16" or less on the front. I ain't taking it out. But I wonder-how big does a tuck have to be before you rip it out and redo it. I just hate starting and stopping in the middle-that's the beauty of straight line. Mostly, you start and end off the top so it's not an issue. I had to quit for a while-maybe the tuck was because I was tired [of quilting].

eta: my machine has accu feed and I was using it. In case anyone wondered. I never had a tuck happen with my old machine and regular walking foot but then I only quilted 3 times on it.

Blog Entries
    Everyone is different, I admit that I am a little anal about some things. I do pick tucks out and redo them, but that is just me, unless it is obvious that it has been redone.

I would not redo it unless it is obvious. My QFK quilt had a prbably 1/8 inch tuck on back and I did not fix it. I don't think non quilters would even notice little things like that, esp. the kids

Depends on who the quilt is for,and where it is. I've made kids quilts where I found some tucks in the back and figured the kids would never know it. But if I was making it so someone special, I fix it. All depended how I felt that day too. I love my ripper, I use it a lot. lol, but there are days I don't want to see him....

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Everyone is different, I admit that I am a little anal about some things. I do pick tucks out and redo them, but that is just me, unless it is obvious that it has been redone.
    I am with you on this one
    :wink:

If it was that small I don't think I would fix it. Many of the smaller tucks will "wash out." Meaning, when you wash the quilt, the fabric pulls enough that you no longer see it.

If it is obvious, I would take out the stitching on either side and fix it. But, I would not take out the whole row.

Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    If it was that small I don't think I would fix it. Many of the smaller tucks will "wash out." Meaning, when you wash the quilt, the fabric pulls enough that you no longer see it.

If it is obvious, I would take out the stitching on either side and fix it. But, I would not take out the whole row.
    I agree. A tuck that small will often wash out. If it's noticeable and bothers me I'll take it out.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry about your tuck. I've had them on my blocks and haven't even put the top together yet! But, what's a QFK?

Edited: Oh, Quilt For Kids. I get it!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. The good news is that I got the whole thing done (cross hatched) and no more tucks! So only the one tiny one and I probably wouldn't even be able to find it.

Now to get it bound.

Tucks have to come out if I can catch my toe or lose a small child in them. LOL Just kidding, if it's noticeable take it out. If it bothers you, take it out. If it's for a quilt show, take it out. Otherwise I leave them in. No quilts are perfect anyway. Quilts are art the same as paintings and should be viewed the same way---from 8-10 feet away. If you hang it on your design wall, walk away for 30 minutes, come back and look at it from across the room and can't immediately see the pucker without searching for it then don't worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast