Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Arguing with printer >

Arguing with printer

Arguing with printer

Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 AM

Unhappy Arguing with printer

I am trying to transfer pictures onto material through my printer. I got the first three successfully, but the rest of the material get jammed. I bought the package from JoAnn's Fabrics, what am I doing wrong? Has anyone else had problems like this. I am going to make a quilt for my daughter, it will have all pictures of her and her horses. with sashing in between. I am using EQ7.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:28 AM

You might want to check and see if there is something stuck on the roller in the paper area. Also, you might want to put one piece of fabric/paper in the printer at a time and not stack them up. I had this problem, also and that seemed to work for my printer.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Printers are funny. If I try to print anything other than paper with my printer it will jam if I try to do multiples.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

I keep saying, "They is haven't perfected printers". Try turning it off and back on maybe it will work. Know a young man with a degree in computers that has problems with printers. I guess colleges don't offer degrees in printers. I doubt anyone could get the degree. Printers seem to have a cruel sense of humor.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Which printer? Some of the HP printers use an under/over type feed where the paper and the print come out on the same side. I have a Canon, which has a direct feed. You put the paper in the back of the printer upright, and it feeds through to the front. I also have a laser which will work either way.

I have an old HP photosmart with the loop-type feed, and cannot get any paper heavier than cardstock through it. Heavier paper does not bend enough for that type of feed.
The Canon is an old Pixma 6000D, it has the direct feed, and I can shove almost any type of paper in it. I was papercrafting Xmas cards.

If you are using an HP, your best bet would be to buy their products for whatever you are doing. The Canon isn't as fussy.

The other advice- go to the printers folder on your computer, and stop and delete the print job in the queue. Turn the printer off and on again.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:58 AM

Make sure your fabric is fused to the tear away paper, then make sure you have squared off the edges (with a rotory cutter) and there are no threads loose that can get into the printer. Even the smallest thread can stop the whole process.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:20 AM

I've not yet tried printing on fabric, but I have argued with printers for years! The faster the print feed the more likely to be problems, hence the previous suggestion to feed one at a time. Also if it is being finicky, running a cleaning cycle can sometimes help. You might even try using cardstock instead of regular weight paper when doing the cleaning cycle to help dislodge whatever is causing the jamming. It can be a tiny scrap of paper or thread that you don't realize is still in there.
Hope you get it figured out!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:06 AM

Thank you for your comments. The computer printer fabric by June Taylor, is what I am using. The first three went through with no problems. Then I got a paper jammed. Got that cleared. I then printed on plain paper, this one came out with no problems. I then tried the computer printer fabric, and it jammed the printer. I did turn it off and turn it on, unplugged and plugged it back in. And I am still having problems. The June Taylor company suggested putting masking tape on the edge that feeds through, I tried that and it also jammed. I will keep working on it and see if I can figure it out. I never thought about the edges not being square, I have gone through this package, but will check the edges on the next package. Again thank you for the suggestions.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 AM

Most printers have a door on the side for a direct feed for card stock and heavier papers so it does not have to bend around the rollers.Mine actually has 2 - one for the feed and one for the exit. If yours has it - try that - using one sheet at a time.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 AM

I tried to print on fabric a couple of weeks ago - guess what - I broke the printer lol