Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Army Rules about Quilts? >
  • Army Rules about Quilts?

• Army Rules about Quilts?

Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 AM

My grand son that's in the Army, has his jean quilt I made him, with him in Afghanistan .
    Old 07-11-2014, 06:13 AM

USMC recruits can receive only letters and pictures UNLESS they specifically ask you for something. These will be items approved by their DIs. I sent my daughter cough drops (this was a substitute for hard candy) and Power Bars. And do not frou-frou up the envelopes. Plain white is best.

Once she graduated from boot camp and finished her MCT (Marine Combat Training), she went on to her MOS (Military Occupation School) in Southern California, and then on to Okinawa. In Okinawa, she was able to have any personal items she wanted.
    Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 AM

After basic they can have items from home. However, as others have said, it would depend on where he is stationed. I think of our friend who was in Korea, it was cold and a quilt would have been great; but he was in a tent. Bless you for thinking of your nephew's needs and for caring about the men and women who serve our country. They endure so much for us.
    Old 07-11-2014, 07:14 AM

Just want to throw in, in case someone has a Marine. In their barracks (after basic and any specialized training, they can have whatever they want in their barracks. Some are like bunk beds and some newer ones are more like regular twin beds.
    Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 AM

My nephew was in the service overseas and requested a quilt from TX. I applicaed the 3 colored state of Tx on a purchased comforter and mailed to him. He was thrilled even made it home and on his bed until he married.
    Old 07-11-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by DDuMouchel
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. His mom and I are both on facebook so I will depend on that for updates as to how he's doing and just resolve to write a couple letters to him while he's in Basic. If he makes it through I can find out from his mom where he's bound from there and what the regulations are.
    Thanks again for asking this question. My stepson is able to receive letters in basic now (he has very specific instructions about how they must be addressed), and he goes straight into AIT from there, but because he is in ROTC, he'll be coming home in September to school. I plan to give him a quilt before winter (he'll be living off campus, and I don't know if his house may be drafty or cold--do we ever stop worrying that our kids are warm enough? ), but it's nice to know that if he needs it when he is stationed, that he can take a quilt with him.
    Old 07-11-2014, 09:23 AM

I have also sent quilts to military overseas. It is a 'hug from home'. But, please add a note that you hope they enjoy the quilt but you understand their living conditions and not to stress about the care. You can also suggest that while you would love for them to take it home with them, if they desire they can leave it for the next person - this eliminates any worries they may have. Occasionally I will do a themed quilt (fishing, hunting, beach party), but I have received the best response from the scrappy quilts. I enclose a postcard rather than label the quilt and I have received comments that it reminded them of their childhood and grandma's house - makes my heart burst to know I have given them a moment of smiles in their days far from home.
    Old 07-11-2014, 09:54 AM
    Power Poster

Probably not in Basic Training, but once he is assigned a base, it should not be a problem and he would probably appreciate the thought and comfort from a quilt.
    Old 07-11-2014, 10:34 AM

If he is serving our country I wouldn't care what happened to the quilt just so nothing happened to him. God Bless him for serving our country!
    Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM

That's beautiful Jan! You can tell it still warms your heart just to think about it.
    i am glad you posted this question Donna, because I was wondering the something about the Navy.