Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ARRGGHH... need help machine quilting >

ARRGGHH... need help machine quilting

ARRGGHH... need help machine quilting

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 AM

1) Check out Sharon Shamber's method of sandwiching using a table top (kitchen table will do), and two boards. You don't need a whole lot of space, you won't get any ripples or puckers, and it's EASY. I'm at work and can't look for the link to the video - but do a search on her name and basting and you'll find the video. It's fantastic!!

2) Yes you can do the squares first starting with the center squares and working your way out, then then sashing, then the borders.

3) BEFORE YOU START ... make sure you practice practice practice FMQ on scrap. I am assuming from the beginning of your post where you said you thought you could handle a wall hanging that you are not comfortable with FMQ yet. So if not ... take the time to practice every stitch you plan on putting onto the quilt. Use the same fabric weight, the same thread, and the same batting. Work out all of the tension issues and anything else that could come up. Can't coun't how many threads we've seen on QB lately that began with "I'm FMQ'ing a quilt and it's not going well". So make sure things go well BEFORE you put your quilt under the machine.

Edit - aha! I see now that Feline put up a link to the video.

Good luck!! And have fun!!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM

Before I had enough space at my home I went to a LQS or one of the churches and used their tables to layout and baste/pin/spray the layers. There was NO WAY I was going to do that on the floor. I live alone and I can just imagine someone trying to 'rescue' me when I couldn't get up by myself.

As for doing the FMQ: I have a sewing machine cabinet and then put an ironing board or small table behind the area to catch the quilt so there was no drag or distortion.

ali
Old 10-05-2011, 10:18 AM

Here is a link to doing srpay basting on a wall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUz...BCE39F4DBBD3AA

I have done this several times for a variety of size pieces and it makes things much easier.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM

I did buy a book on quilting a quilt in sections, here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti...7838821&sr=8-1
I have glanced thru the book, but haven't tried it yet...It is NOT a quilt as you go book, but actually a way to quilt like a queen size quilt in sections. Just a thought for something you may check into. I didn't check ebay, it may be available there, too.
Good luck,
Kif
Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Someone had put up a link to a you tube tute where the lady used boards with very little space (backing, batting and top were wound/unwound on/from the boards). Wished I had marked it.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:07 PM

Thank you all so much for the great ideas. Gonna check out the youtube video and book. Loved the tips. Now please keep your fingers crossed. I may get the courage up to try this tohight!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Willa
Someone had put up a link to a you tube tute where the lady used boards with very little space (backing, batting and top were wound/unwound on/from the boards). Wished I had marked it.
:lol: :lol: Uh I think I may have granted your wish a few posts above.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 PM

Even though I have a dining room table I could lay it out on, I don't want to scratch the finish trying to pin it. On one wall of my sewingroom, I've taken a some old corrigated plastic signs (some are old political signs) and glued them to the wall using Gorilla Glue. I stretch out the fabric pinning it to the wall making my layers.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AliKat
Before I had enough space at my home I went to a LQS or one of the churches and used their tables to layout and baste/pin/spray the layers. There was NO WAY I was going to do that on the floor. I live alone and I can just imagine someone trying to 'rescue' me when I couldn't get up by myself.

As for doing the FMQ: I have a sewing machine cabinet and then put an ironing board or small table behind the area to catch the quilt so there was no drag or distortion.

ali
It is difficult to do it at home if you don't have some sort of surface to pin baste on. The quilt that I had in the last quilt contest on the board I ended up pin basting on the floor. I will NEVER try that again. I use to pin baste at any fabric store that had a classroom. Ask when the classroom is available. I would buy any threads that I needed for quilting while there so at least they made a sale from my purchases. HANG IN THERE !! It is like anything with a learning curve. It DOES get easier the more you learn. GOOD LUCK !!! :lol:
Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM

We have a workroom at the quilt shop that has tables, that when not in use, the owner of the shop allow customers to use for pinning or sewing or what ever is needed. Any you always can use her expertise and there is always others wondering in and out to help. It is fun to work there.