Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Art quilts-Ready to stretch

I think I'm ready to stretch my skills. I want to start with an easier level. What kind of art quilt design would be a good starting point? I'm more into traditional piecing. Suggestions?

What kind do you like? Realistic images like from a photograph? Silouettes of things? Abstracts that do not represent an actual object? Aim for a style you find pleasing to narrow down the choices as a first step. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by taylorsgmom
    I think I'm ready to stretch my skills. I want to start with an easier level. What kind of art quilt design would be a good starting point? I'm more into traditional piecing. Suggestions?
    I've been told that this would be an art quilt, so perhaps this might give you some ideas??

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114217-1.htm

You could follow the same technique and do so many different things.

ck out my "bargello scene's" sew easy and I consider them my way of painting a scene

You might try piecing a background... maybe in similar colors... and then adding a fusible piece on top. For instance... if you pieced some blues, maybe some greens or browns at the bottom and then fused a flower on top. It could be a fun starter for you. You could practice some free-motion stitching to secure the flower down, add some hand stitching if you like... whatever. You decide. That's part of what makes it "art."

Work small at first... basically studies, maybe 5x7, just to try a few things out and see what you might like. There are some great videos to watch, as well, that can teach you techniques. Have you taken a look at Quilting Arts magazine? It's a great resource.