Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Artifil thread >

Artifil thread

Artifil thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 PM

I use 50wt Aurifil on my HQ16 quilting machine...Tried less expensive thread by it kept breaking and skipping then tried Aurifil and "Harriet" loved it and just purrs right along... I mostly piece with Aurifil beige, black thread but when I need other colors I am using my stash of Coats & Clark on my machines. I have a 301 Singer in a cabinet, 158 Kenmore also in cabinet, a 20' featherweight and a 2014 Kenmore....oh yes and a sick viking
Old 01-29-2015, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post
i love Aurifil so much I only buy the cones. Much better pricing.
I have started doing that as well and have the cone stand on my Janome. I do have the large spools for colors, but for piecing, I recently bought cones in black and neutrals.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:40 PM

What type of machine do you have? I use Aurifil, bottomline for the bobbin....but I also use Connecting Threads Thread.....it is reasonably price and found to be a good quality cotton. Just look for Long Staple.....try out several and choose what works best for your project, not what a dealer thinks your machine can handle. Your machine should be able to take all kinds of wonderful threads that are out there. I would suggest going to SuperiorThreads and look for their free DVD on threads, needles and tension etc.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I also agree with paper princess. If any dealer told me to ONLY use a specific brand/type of thread in my machine my confidence and trust in that dealer would immediately go by the way side. There are so many wonderful threads out there, not just for piecing but for machine quilting and thread painting and applique. there are glow in the dark threads, metallic threads, holographic threads, invisible threads, water soluble threads, and super fine threads that allow us to do wonderfully intricate detail work. then there are the fun threads intended only for bobbin work, like Superiors Razzle Dazzle and YLI's candlelight. Why would anyone limit themselves to only one brand/type of thread?? That is ridiculous and so self limiting. I say spread your wings and fly and experiment with different threads for both piecing and for quilting. You won't regret it and you will learn so much more about your machine and not be afraid to adjust tension on both top and bobbin. IMHO anyone who limits themselves to only one type of thread, well that is like eating the same exact food for every meal, every day. No thanks. As my mom always said, variety is the spice of life!
Oh for piecing, I currently use Aurifil 2ply 50wt in the top and bottom line 60wt polyester from Superior Threads in the bobbin. But I have heard wonderful things about the presencia so when I have used my current cone of Aurifil up I will spice up my life with some Presencia!
Amen!!!!!

I use Connecting Threads and Superior Threads; almost always with Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:40 PM

I was strongly urged to use Superior Threads when I purchased my machine.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:29 PM

I'm so glad there was a conversation about Aurifil thread. My husband just bought me a quilt kit that came with Aurifil and I wasn't sure what it was or if it was good! I am now more comfortable about getting it!

I usually use Gutermann thread, and sometimes Connecting Threads thread. Gutermann is a nice quality cotton thread with low lint that my Janome and I enjoy. The only thing I have a problem with Connecting Threads is it doesn't get along with applique and fused webbing -- it would skip stitches (which no other thread did). My all time favorite is Iris Ultra Cotton. It's resilient, but fine, and sews up beautifully. It is sold at Janome dealers though.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 PM

If you do the math - per yard - Aurifil is cheaper than most Mettler and Gutermann I can buy. It just looks like you're getting less because the thread is thin and the "core" is thinner than the other 2 brands.

I've done the cost analysis - Mettler and Gutermann come in less expensive than King Tut but otherwise is more expensive than Robison Anton, Aurifil, MasterPiece, Connecting thread and Coats and Clark.

So, if it's more expensive and lintier and problematic (another recent thread) - why buy these brands and encourage the manufacturers to continue to put out a substandard product?
Old 01-30-2015, 06:22 AM

I have a Pfaff Creative Sensation. I haven't found a thread that I can't use. Some of the threads on the little tiny spools aren't as easy to use. I use Aurifil, by choice, for all my piecing and most of my quilting because it performs perfectly and does not create as much lint in/around my machine as the other cotton threads I have used. I swear my machine even sews better with it. If you check around you can find sales. When you check prices with other threads you do have to consider that Aurifil has more thread on the spool than most other threads. Your filled bobbin will also have more thread on it because of less lint. I use dark grey, light grey or dark beige, light beige for 99% of my piecing/sewing/quilting. I also use black and white when necessary.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:24 AM

I love Superior Threads So Fine #50 which is polyester for my quilting. Their Bottom Line works great in the bobbin, too. For piecing I like the Aurifil 50 or Superior's Masterpiece 50.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
So, if it's more expensive and lintier and problematic (another recent thread) - why buy these brands and encourage the manufacturers to continue to put out a substandard product?
Wow. The thread police. There is no way I believe Gütermann is producing a 'substandard' product or that they have a poor corporate attitude. You're free to buy what you want, as am I, without criticism.