Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Artifil thread >

Artifil thread

Artifil thread

Old 01-30-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Wow. The thread police. There is no way I believe Gütermann is producing a 'substandard' product or that they have a poor corporate attitude. You're free to buy what you want, as am I, without criticism.
To me, substandard is when people are complaining about slubs and more lint than they used to find with the same thread, thread breakage that also doesn't happen with an older spool.

I'm not the thread police but I am a thread snob. I use what causes me the least grief. My machines don't care but I have preferences.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Hmmm, and does your DSM dealer also sell Aurifil? I agree that it is a wonderful thread, but I'm very skeptical when someone says you can only use one specific brand. Some individual machines are fussy. I would buy a single small spool of various threads from different manufacturers to see what you AND your machine like best.
For piecing, I use 60 wt Presencia
Agree with this----my local shop pushes Guterman 50 wt cotton and Robison Anton Embroidery thread. I use any thread that comes along--guterman 50 wt doesn't work well for me in free motion quilting--I use it in the bobbin--some colors like black don't work in certain brands as well as in others. I use Aurifil but I'm also using Superior and Connecting Threads. Like the Aurifil most.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:41 PM

I use Aurifil 50wt. Its wonderful thread, low lint. It seems expensive, but when you consider how much thread you get; very good quality too. Gutermann and Mettler are also good threads.
Coats and Clark thread,isn't what it used to be, it can have slubs, thick and thin spots.

Last edited by purplefiend; 01-31-2015 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added text