Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An Artist's Rights >

An Artist's Rights

An Artist's Rights

Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You missed a big part of the discussion. The copyright covers the instructions on how to make the blocks. You can't copy and distribute someone else's instructions. However, you can write up your own instructions on how to make a block.
Actually I agree with you 100% Peggi.......you cannot steal/copy/resell/plagiarize someone else's written copyrighted work...but if you read the original article in question, i think you will have to admit that the assertion being put forth is that if you make a quilt that someone else has sold a pattern for - whether you change the colors not - you MUST give credit / financial reimbursement to that person or you are violating the copyright. I disagree with this premise basis US copyright law - that was my point.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You missed a big part of the discussion. The copyright covers the instructions on how to make the blocks. You can't copy and distribute someone else's instructions. However, you can write up your own instructions on how to make a block.
Yeah, but in the sticky, it says that if you don't reference the original creator, then you are violating copyright, even to the imitation of a quilt as saying you are violating copyright. And the original writer said that you can't sell a quilt made with her pattern (the sticky). Not even one. Wow.

It certainly doesn't work that way with clothing. I can buy a sewing pattern, make a skirt and sell it no problem. I've never even hear of Simplicity or Butterick going after someone who makes clothing for others (using their pattern) as a problem.

I agree with brave little chicken that it is implied that people will make things with patterns--and that is implied when you actually produce a pattern--that is the purpose of a pattern. And why would anyone want to make a pattern that they can't show at a guild, to their friends, etc.

Those bravelittle chicken articles are really good. IMO, much better than the sticky.

They are here:
http://www.bravelittlechicken.com/archives/798
http://www.bravelittlechicken.com/archives/796
http://www.bravelittlechicken.com/archives/902

And in one of her articles, it was interesting that she showed where in one case, one person took another to court over infringement. She showed the original quilt pattern and the one that the court deemed to violate and the one they deemed to not violate her pattern. Interesting.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

VERY interesting reading. My bargello quilts were published in a small quilting book. I was surprised one day to find those pictures posted on the internet when I was looking at bargello quilts using Google photo. A quilt shop in Australia is still selling the book. I always wanted to post the pictures of my quilts from this book but never did because the line is sometimes gray to me. MY quilt but I did NOT take the photo. My name is listed as credit.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:18 AM

I think this is an issue when a quilter sells a quilt, especially at a craft/quilt show. I spend a lot of money on my quilts, but ONLY give them to my family. This is a hot topic no matter the craft.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:35 AM

I like reading about this topic and everyones opinion, don't understand all the locked threads.

I bought EQ7 so I could make a show quilt, (it won't win anyway) and be able to say it is all mine. The more they push the copyright the more everyone will make their own design or use base blocks.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 AM

Ok I learned several things from the post but admit I'm still fuzzy on other parts. Ill keep reading it to see if any lightbulbs go on.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:42 AM

Ok I learned several things from the post but admit I'm still fuzzy on other parts. Ill keep reading it to see if any lightbulbs go on. Does that mean my profile picture is in violation? Like most i don't want to infringement on anyone.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Future Quilter View Post
I like reading about this topic and everyones opinion, don't understand all the locked threads.
once a thread shifts from facts and reliable resources to opinion, i will most likely lock it.
all the hysteria, anger, misinformation, pointless argument, and confusion generated by opinion, etc render a potentially useful and informative thread useless.

once that happens i will either lock it or delete altogether.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:11 AM
Administrator

personally, i take the lazy way out.

i won't make a quilt to sell that i made using somebody else's pattern.
i won't enter a quilt into a competition that i made using somebody else's pattern.
the same goes for anybody else's quilt i saw that is [or at least seems to be] truly unique and original.

if i ever have enough confidence in the quality of my work to enter something in a show, i will check the rules carefully. if something is unclear to me, i will contact the show coordinators for clarification. if i don't like the rules i won't enter the show.

i won't buy any book or pattern that is sealed in such a way that i can't first read the copyright notice and attempt at restrictions. whether or not i agree with what's written, if i don't like what i see i won't buy it.

i will not wrap myself around an axle worrying about whether or not i like the law.
i will do my best to obey the law as i understand it.
i will continue to look for and read reliable articles from competent sources until i am sure i understand all the finer points of copyright law as it applies to quilting and my country. (laws are not the same the world 'round.)
Old 02-18-2015, 06:13 AM

Gee, I thought this site was about sharing, getting others opinions on things and general discussion. A lot of people are thankful for the help they have received from this site. If you get 10 legal attorneys there will be 10 different interpretations of the copyright law. There are numerous interpretations of the "legal" who is right. Give it up. Do what you feel is appropriate.