Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Asking for help from the Time Management Fairies. >

Asking for help from the Time Management Fairies.

Asking for help from the Time Management Fairies.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM

I have a couple projects in the works, and some that need to be done too...but only 24 hours in my day.

You have all seen the progress of my wonderful Anniversary Sampler. After I FINALLY got all my club girls together at the same time to baste it, which seems like that took most of the summer...I had to take 6 weeks off from quilting and just about everything as I severely cut my right middle (quilting) finger. So, now most of my evenings are in front of the tube with hubby, quilting his quilt that he still has no idea is for him yet.

It's 25 blocks plus sashing. I have to have it completed and bound by our anniversary in December. I have 8 blocks done so far, but I finish about 2-3 blocks in a good week.

I got fired a couple weeks ago. Don't be sad. Downsizing is what it is. I figure, it gives me more time with my kids, more time with my quilts, and I put enough in savings when I did work that we can last a while without me working. I was just working for benefits and maybe a house payment some day. There are a lot more people who need to work more than I do. It stinks, and it's humiliating, but I'm refusing to take it personally.

Here is the thinking cap part:

I have 2 WIPs going, one D9P and one soduku for a pair of siblings. I made their sister one a couple years ago and it's their turn. I promised the mom ages ago, so I know she's happy that they are started. She paid for all the materials and everything even though I offered to make a couple throw size for her two smaller ones. I'm not getting picky with my friends, and she's super patient, which I appreciate even more. She understands the time it takes to make something by hand and has no deadline.

My autistic son has 2 teachers this year and both are expecting. We had no choice with the SPED teacher, as she is his favorite and the only SPED teacher for the school. We'll have to deal with her absence. The other teacher, I'm still not sure why the school chose her for him knowing she would need maternity leave towards the beginning of the year. By the time he gets used to her, she'll be out on leave. Anyway, he asked me if I could make little quilts for the babies since he knows I don't have enough time to make big quilts....bless his little heart. He picked out a Soduku, which is super dooper easy...so...how can I make 4 quilts at once? Are there magic time fairies out there? I don't want to have to pull upteen allnighters to get them all done.

To complicate matters, neither teacher know which gender they are having....so I can't buy materials or begin his regular teachers quilt until October and his SPED teacher's in December. What is the appropriate time frame for a baby gift after the baby has been born?

I can probably finish the tops of the other two before Thanksgiving. I was going to experiment in FMQ for them, but the more I think about it, they really should be tied....

What do you all think??
Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

How about finishing the tops for the two you already have going first. Then sandwich them and tie them or SID. Add the binding and that's that.

I don't think it's a good idea to mix Sodokus since they depend on correct placement.

As for the babies:
How about making a gender neutral quilt for the babies. Or find out what color the nurseries will be and use that as a guideline. That way you can buy any extra fabric when you find it on sale. You could even make two of the same.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

For quick baby quilts, what about a couple of cute printed panels? Add a pretty backing and binding, and quilt around the printed design. Voila!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:01 PM

My son is fairly set on the pattern, and that's simple enough. I like having a little more time. I can finish the two I have going now...and request the mom's help in the tying process....Once I have those two done I can start on the babies. It's a good idea about nursery set up.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Make some bright quilts! The kids will love them!!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't worry about giving the baby quilts until the teacher come back from maternity leave. I don't think there is a time limit on when you can give a gift to the baby :wink: