Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Asking for suggestions >

Asking for suggestions

Asking for suggestions

Old 09-01-2016, 05:13 AM

I would use medium blocks. Audition different colors on your design board to see what color setting block would look best to you.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:19 AM

I'm not a big fan of alternating blocks. Depending on the fabric, a 9" sq can overwhelm a 9" pieced block, especially when all your pieced blocks are different. I prefer to make an alternating block. In this case, a 6" center sq with a
1 1/2" framing on all four sides (or a 5" sq with 2" framing). The framing then acts as a sashing for your pieced blocks. The center square could be the same fabric in every block or a variety of fabrics that coordinate with your pieced blocks. I would then use a medium to dark color for the framing of the squares.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:20 AM

Personally, I prefer white or black. I think either one provides great contrast for the colors in the blocks to pop out. But I have never made a sampler quilt, so I probably don't know what I am talking about.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Annie in MO View Post
I'm not a big fan of alternating blocks. Depending on the fabric, a 9" sq can overwhelm a 9" pieced block, especially when all your pieced blocks are different. I prefer to make an alternating block. In this case, a 6" center sq with a
1 1/2" framing on all four sides (or a 5" sq with 2" framing). The framing then acts as a sashing for your pieced blocks. The center square could be the same fabric in every block or a variety of fabrics that coordinate with your pieced blocks. I would then use a medium to dark color for the framing of the squares.
Quilters are the best, i am so happy i asked instead of just plowing forward... as I only need to make ten blocks this ideas would not be overwhelming, thinking then the inner border would be the sale as framing of alternate blocks and then a coordinating outside border.

Thanks again to all that suggested...think i will go with medium for strips and maybe I can find some of the fabrics I used in the blocks -- 2003 maybe
thanks again, i am off with lots of ideas
Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
That's what I was thinking too, Jan. Light blocks would be too light, dark would be too dark. I like medium blocks but there are a lot of squares with medium background...so I would sash with a narrow dark fabric and then use a medium for the blocks. Just my opinion.
I also agree with this idea. Because the blocks have so many different fabrics at the edges, sashing would bring them together. Using a narrow dark sashing, perhaps in a color you have not used in any of the blocks, would help the blocks stand out from medium setting blocks.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:36 PM

My first thought was a warm medium chocolate brown with a narrow cream framing border. This would give it a masculine look even with the few pastels in it.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I think I'd be tempted to sash all the pieced blocks in one color/fabric for cohesiveness, then use whatever alternating block different color works for you.
This was my idea also. You could also make your background squares smaller and sash them before you add your colored blocks. Then your quilt would not get any larger than the way you have it set on your design wall.

I like the "on point" idea, too.