Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attic windows >

Attic windows

Attic windows

Old 08-20-2016, 08:48 AM

Default Attic windows

• Hello to the most knowledgeable and up-to-date quilting friends.
    So, I have been thinking about making an attic window quilt. There is a ruler out there that can help in creating this project. There are not many reviews on it. The videos show that it creates a pocket which I do not want. They do say it can be sewn down. But there are no details on that part or how it would look.
    I have also seen where you can make a half square triangle for the corner. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!! ...
    I also posted this under Blogs. I wasn't sure we're to post this.

<dl class="blogcategory stats" style="margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 12px; height: 14px;"><dt class="shade" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(94, 86, 83); display: inline;">Categories</dt> <dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; display: inline;">Uncategorized</dd></dl>

0 Comments

Old 08-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I don't like buying any specialty rulers that I will only use once. Yes, I have made a HST in the corner with a border fabric that is striped because I don't like dealing with miter borders any more.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I believe Jenny Doan for the Missouri Star Quilt Co has a YouTube video on Attic Windows. Take a look at hers and see if that method would work for you.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Of course you can make it with a HST in the corner but I think it looks nicer done the traditional way with a Y seam. Y seams (AKA set in seams) are not hard at all. They just seem a little intimidating at first but once you have done 3 or 4 of them you will wonder what all the fuss was about. I wouldn't bother with a specialty ruler as the cut is a 45 degree cut and almost all regular rulers have the 45 degree line on them.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:48 PM

I feared mitered corners for such a long time. I was able to figure out how to do them very simply, and now, all my borders have them. Would have little difficulty in doing attic windows.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:49 PM

one of the first quilts I ever did was an attic window. I did do the half square triangle in the corner. Unless you get up close and look you can't tell.....y seams are tricky at first, but you can manage them.....however not nearly as fast as the half square triangle. IMHO. Not a difficult quilt to do at all. Be sure ad show a pic. when you are done
Old 08-21-2016, 04:48 PM

Thank you all for your feedback! I watched the video and I really liked it. I think I may go that route. I also found a used book on attic Windows online last night that I ordered. I'm not sure if I want to go the panel route or a landscape scene and incorporate embroidery designs and or applique into it on the squares. I'm just in the creation part of the quilt it could take me months to decide. It may be a good winter project.
Mitered corners just like zippers intimidate me. But once you do it with the proper instruction I say that wasn't so bad! Like one post mentioned if you keep doing it it gets easier. But, thank you all for your input. I think I will pass on the specialty ruler for now and make the half square triangle. If I. Ever want to make something with little pockets like an advent calendar I may go the way of the specialty ruler. But for now... I cannot wait to get my book to get more ideas!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:06 AM

My girlfriend just taught a class with the special ruler- there is a bit of waste with folding the fabric(depending on the repeat, too). If you fear y seams, that's the way to go! I like to challenge my abilities and jump in!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I believe Jenny Doan for the Missouri Star Quilt Co has a YouTube video on Attic Windows. Take a look at hers and see if that method would work for you.
Jenny snowballs one corner. That makes the miter easier. There is a seam on one side, but if you press that seam open, it is much less visible.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 AM

Did the one from Missouri Star Quilt tutorial; I think you would like that one.