Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Augh, if it doesn't rain....I can't quilt >

Augh, if it doesn't rain....I can't quilt

Augh, if it doesn't rain....I can't quilt

Old 06-28-2010, 04:01 AM

I have two little girls and a pool that they just LOVE going in LOL...However we all know, mommy needs to be at the pool the entire time they are...I need bad weather to force them indoors (I know that is horrible of me to say, but the weather man keeps saying rain and the only thing that shows up is 95 degree weather and SUN.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 AM

I remember those days. We have 3 grown daughters now. I did lots of hand work on days at the backyard pool (really it was a 10' cattle tank)! Like everyone says, have baggies of small projects ready to go. Make your own "quilt kits" and have a sewing kit ready to grab and you won't feel like you have lost an opportunity to sew.
I also did this when they got older and started piano and voice lessons. I always had something to grab that I could work on in the car. Of course there were days when not much got done or I just wasn't in the mood to hand sew, at these times I would grab a quilt book or a handful of quilt magazines and dream of the next quilt I wanted to make.
Have fun with your girls, they grow up soooo fast! :)
Been there. Done that.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:17 AM

When my now 35 year old son was in pre-school, I kept a needlepoint project in the glovebox of the car. I worked on it for 5-15 minutes at a time, and after a year, it was done and became a Christmas gift. I loved the words; "Never underestimate the power of a woman". Amazing what you can do a few minutes here and a few there!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:18 AM

You can have Indiana's rain! I'll send it right over.

It's been TORRENTIALLY raining at least every 15 hours around here for the last 2-3 weeks.

SOMETIMES the grass will dry up just enough so that hubby can cut it...sometimes.

It's already 85 outside at 7:20am central
Old 06-28-2010, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Ugh...I'd send you Wisconsins rain too! Although it LOOKS sunny today, for a change!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 AM

LOL, thanks everyone...don't get me wrong, i am very grateful to be able to stay home with them and lets face it, my job in the summer consists of playing in the pool or chatting with other moms during playdates...but I miss MY time while they are in school.

I will however seriously think about taking up hand stitching...till now i have only done all machine.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 AM

have you thought about moving your machine outside to sew on while they are in the pool? you might also want to (depending on their ages) take them into the sewing room to help "Cut" up some fabric for a pillow or something that they would like to make. and then have them play on the sewing machine. that is what i do with my dd who is almost 2 1/2. it helps when i am trying to get something done.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 AM

We're supposed to have sun here all week--more sun, less humidity and less heat. I think it's wonderful.

However, to help with your problem try Time For You, Time For Me. Tell the girls that ONLY if they behave and let you sew then they get equal or double time in the pool. Sew for 2 hours in the early morning, pool in the afternoon. Or pool for a couple of hours in the morning and sew in the afternoon heat.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:05 AM

they are 4 and 6, and its all about the pool for them, as soon as they are done with bfast, out they go....they take breaks for snack and lunch etc....but they are always in the pool...I'm VERY happy about that, but i could use some rain so they will watch tv or play their ds's for a few hours LOL

Originally Posted by sahm4605
have you thought about moving your machine outside to sew on while they are in the pool? you might also want to (depending on their ages) take them into the sewing room to help "Cut" up some fabric for a pillow or something that they would like to make. and then have them play on the sewing machine. that is what i do with my dd who is almost 2 1/2. it helps when i am trying to get something done.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 AM

I agree! I would find a way to move my machine out by the pool. We just put down a cement patio and I have been taking my lightweight machine out there in the mornings to enjoy the outdoors but still be doing what I really want!