Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Aurifil & binding thread? >
  • Aurifil & binding thread?

• Aurifil & binding thread?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 PM

I am a quilter for the last 20 years or so. I am also a Realtor and haven't done much quilting in 8 years. As we all know the real estate market is in terrible condition and so I have had a lot of extra time on my hands for the last 14 months. I have sewn quite a few table runners and baby quilt tops and have been binding these last few weeks. My problem is this - I can see all of my stitches and it is making me crazy! My old quilts have invisible stitches on my bindings - I have checked! I don't know what I have changed but something is off. I use Aurifil 50 wt. for piecing and regular all purpose or dual duty to stitch my bindings down. I match my thread color to the binding fabric as closely as I can to help hide stitches, it's just not working. What type of thread and stitches are you fabulous quilt artists using? Please let me know.....I want to finish off these projects and they aren't leaving my house with the bindings showing big ugly stitiches! Thanks!
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM

I use the same kind of thread U do. I do make sure I use a really thin small needle. Plus I recently got my eyes checked and had to get new glasses. I'm 61
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by sarahconner
    I use the same kind of thread U do. I do make sure I use a really thin small needle. Plus I recently got my eyes checked and had to get new glasses. I'm 61
    Well Sarah I'm 45 and until I turned 42 my eyes were 20/20 - now one eye is off a hair and I use 1.25 to 1.50 magnifier glasses! Or cheaters as I call them & a really bright light behind my chair! I really think it is my stitching that is off! Maybe I need to use another stitch instead of a blind stitch - saw a tute using a ladder stitch. I may need to try that one.
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JEM65
    I am a quilter for the last 20 years or so. I am also a Realtor and haven't done much quilting in 8 years. As we all know the real estate market is in terrible condition and so I have had a lot of extra time on my hands for the last 14 months. I have sewn quite a few table runners and baby quilt tops and have been binding these last few weeks. My problem is this - I can see all of my stitches and it is making me crazy! My old quilts have invisible stitches on my bindings - I have checked! I don't know what I have changed but something is off. I use Aurifil 50 wt. for piecing and regular all purpose or dual duty to stitch my bindings down. I match my thread color to the binding fabric as closely as I can to help hide stitches, it's just not working. What type of thread and stitches are you fabulous quilt artists using? Please let me know.....I want to finish off these projects and they aren't leaving my house with the bindings showing big ugly stitiches! Thanks!
    Try matching your background color instead of the binding color. I always use a blind stitch when I hand finish binding.
    Old 02-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Scissor Queens - I love your collection of scissors in your avatar. I must admit a have a small collection myself. Some are for a purpose, embroidery, appliques, razor sharp cutters - then my must have Ginghers with all the pretty color, patterns & shapes!