Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aurifil, where have you been all my life? >

Aurifil, where have you been all my life?

Aurifil, where have you been all my life?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:42 AM

I love it too! Read about it on this board and then saw some and bought it - wonder why I waited so long too.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:01 AM

After reading this post I went to their web site. The next time I am looking for thread I will be trying this one. They have many choices of thread types and colors available. Lots of vids to watch too. Well worth taking time to check out.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:26 AM

Yup, Jan my Janome loves it and so does Sweetie, my sit down Sweet 16. If you do the math on how much you get on a spool it really is not that expensive, and the colors are so glorious! I tend to buy one at a time as I need a color, but those deals sound really tempting!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Aurifil is made in Italy. The Genziana Cotton Mako is the same thread. My online friend in Italy says Aurifil is made to sell to the US. She uses Genziana. LOL.
I buy both brands here: Check out the grab bags.
http://www.tristan.bc.ca/page1.html
Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 AM

Hmmmmmmm....it's the only thread I use and it has never broken on me.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
it definitely breaks easily. But the colors are beautiful. It's good for satin stitching. Looks silky.

hugs,
Charlotte
Don't know what you are using it for but I use it for peicing, FMG, cross hatch and emb and have never had a problem with it breaking. I started using it for hand applique and then for piecing,its essential when you are doing the small blocks with lots of pieces like in civil war blocks. Once I started using it, my seems were accurate, what a difference 1 less ply makes in accuracy
Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Aurifil is made in Italy. The Genziana Cotton Mako is the same thread. My online friend in Italy says Aurifil is made to sell to the US. She uses Genziana. LOL.
I buy both brands here: Check out the grab bags.
http://www.tristan.bc.ca/page1.html
Do you know which is better priced- the Aurifil (which I love also) or the Genziana?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 AM

I've got to stop waiting until I'm working on a specific project to buy Aurifil. I took fabrics to my LQS to color match, and they had raised their prices to $13.99 a spool!!! I've got to start getting it on line.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Don't know what you are using it for but I use it for peicing, FMG, cross hatch and emb and have never had a problem with it breaking. I started using it for hand applique and then for piecing,its essential when you are doing the small blocks with lots of pieces like in civil war blocks. Once I started using it, my seems were accurate, what a difference 1 less ply makes in accuracy
Again, it doesn't break while I am using it. Ever. But if you try to break it, it breaks far more easily than the 3-ply mettler 50, for example. I often do this with bobbins to double-check whether or not I have dual-duty, polyester, or cotton on it. (They're labeled, but a mistake is always possible.). I do it sometimes to verify a 60 weight from a 50.
So, it's something I've noticed.

The 2-ply part is likely why, to me, it makes as beautiful a satin stitch as a 60-weight cotton. It can be broken about as easily. I'll bet it is wonderful for dense quilting. It wouldn't be my first choice for piecing, though.

Hugs,
charlotte
Old 05-20-2014, 07:41 AM

I bought one spool, one time. I was surprised how easy it broke when pulled taut. I threw it it away. Maybe it was just a bad spool.