Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Autograph blocks >

Autograph blocks

Autograph blocks

Old 04-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Default Autograph blocks

I am going to attempt a memory quilt for all my family members. What I would like to know is there a way to pre-treat the white fabric I am going to use so the fabric markers that I use to obtain the autographs wont run? I made a baby quilt but when I stencilled in "Baby" on the red fabric it ran and looks horrible. Im sending the blocks all over the USA to family members and want to treat the blocks ahead of time, before they sign them. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 AM

There are pens made specifically for writing on fabric. And I always heat set mine after gathering the signatures.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:50 AM

Might have to send pigma pens along with the blocks. I have been successful using these pens.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 AM

I just made an autograph quilt this winter using black, red & white fabric for a 50th Anniv. We ask guests to autograph it. I did not treat the fabric with anything before but after everyone had signed all over the quilt, I ironed over all the signatures to set them. I tried various pens but found this one worked the best.
Sharpie Precision - ultra fine point - permanent marker purchased at Walmart - pkg of 2 - on the pens there is an
AP in a circle on it. It is easy to use - didn't bleed - I rubbed over the fabric - rolled it around & scrunched it up seeing what it would do but the writing stayed the same. I was happy with it. I would suggest trying them to see what you think. Good Luck
Old 04-17-2013, 04:35 AM

Golfergal
Which pattern did you use for the quilt and could you post a photo? I'm planning one and yours sounds beautiful.
LS
Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 AM

I had bought colored pens when I made a stencil for my neices "Grateful Dead" quilt and didnt have any trouble with them running on white but the baby quilt I made had red fabric and it ran like crazy when I used the pens. Im thinking somewhere that I read you could wash the fabric in vinegar? But I might be thinking of something else! Thanks for the tips, Ill look for the sharpies next time I go to Wal mart. I also would love to see a picture of your quilt as I havent picked out a pattern yet, its just an idea starting to form!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 AM

My grandmother's quilting group had everyone sign their blocks in pencil, and then embroidered them with either a stem stitch or back stitch, using only 2 strands of floss (color to complement the block or a uniform color for all).

I inherited some of those friendship quilts, made in the 20's and 30's, and the signatures are still as bright as when first made.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I purchased pens especially made for writing on Fabric and they work just fine.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Yep, they need to sign with the proper pens otherwise someone will use their ball point pen and it will mess up your quilt.

Also it is helpful to make a template cover so that they will only sign in the box and then you will have enough around the signature for seam allowances.

Not sure I'd try it unless I had the money to fund it. Is there a competent family member in each area of the country who could be in charge of getting the signatures for you?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

1. Use 100% cotton fabric.
2. Use Pigma pens in 05 size. (This is going to be a problem for you with blocks going all over the US. Maybe having them sign in pencil with you writing over that signature with a Pigma pen will solve the problem.)
3. Back the signature are of the fabric with a piece of ironed on freezer paper (from Reynold's, in the grocery store); This stabilizes the area for the pen, and can be peeled off after the blocks are signed.
4. Press the signature blocks with a dry iron before you wash the finished quilt.

Jan in VA