Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Awhile back >

Awhile back

Awhile back

Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM

Keep reminding yourself that it gets easier when you get the center done and have less under the arm.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Keep reminding yourself that it gets easier when you get the center done and have less under the arm.
And don't forget to take lots of breaks. It's hard work and you need to stand up and stretch from time to time.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM

I've done Queen's and a king. Luckily my old Pfaff has an almost 8" throat. I used every way possible! I scrunched, I rolled, I folded, I tucked it under my chin, I pushed, I pulled! Nothing fancy, but managed SID around all these sunflowers.
This wonderful old machine does not have a walking foot and I can't (yet) do FMQ.

A huge job but, boy, was I proud!
"Easy" way? Doesn't exist. Just had to keep asking myself, "Would I rather do it all by hand?"

My only hint: See if it will be possible to do the center bits first!

Can't wait to pay off my lay-away Pfaff Exp 3.00 next month with its large throat. Got it for just this reason.

PS: the first picture shows when I first set it up all nice and organized. Didn't stay that way long!

I can do it!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159594[/ATTACH]

Nighty-night DD
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159595[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159589.jpe   attachment-159590.gif  
Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I have done a stitch in the ditch on the dinky under $100 Brother for a king sized quilt. I did what many above have done. Start in the middle and work out. I tried rolling (too much work) or puddling, which worked better. I did have to pull it through sometimes, but it didn't affect the finished product. I didn't even have a walking foot back then! That cheapy Costco machine keeps on trucking.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Quilting in sections is another option. Marti Michell has an excellent book on it. It's much easier to do nice SID or FMQ if you don't have to fight the bulk and weight of the entire quilt.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Just be sure to start in the middle and quilt next to quilting, with practice you will figure it all out and be amazed how good you can get.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:15 PM

I bunch mine and when is that big I always start in the center. The only reason for that is that I keep telling myself "this is the most difficult part. It can only get better from here".
Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by kittycats
a lady here said that she was machine quilting her king size quilt on her regular machine. I am ready to do my queen size on my regular machine and was wondering how you squeeze all the quilt to go thru that small hole on the machine? I think if I roll it up all the way to one side it will not fit. Should I roll half at at a time and work to the right so it will roll out to the left, then turn it around and do the same to the other half. It is sitting in a bag at this time so haven't tried either method as yet. Guess I am a little scared because have only done wall hangings in the machine. :-(
I bunch, I scrunch, I push and I pull. I have tried rolling and using those bicycle clip-things, but I always end up scrunching, bunching and pushing and pulling!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 AM

I also use my ironing board to help with some of the bulk. I set it up next to me on the left with the little part right above my lap. It helps a lot. I also throw some of the quilt over both shoulders if necessary but basically, do whatever works to get it under and through the machine. All 3 of mine are Brothers so there isn't much of an opening to work with! A walking foot is my best friend. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 AM

I'm a puddler. I tried rolling like a lot of the quilting books say, but I found the roll to be too stiff. My machine has a standard throat and my very first machine quilted quilt was an "almost" king size. I start in the middle as well. Take a deep breath and give it a go...you can do it!