Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby bibs

The baby bib patterns I have seen all have binding around them. Is there a reason for this?

I had intended to sew around both layers, leaving a gap to turn them through then stitch a quarter inch inside edge - no binding.

I was using keyhole shape with velcro closure and terry towelling fabric.

I haven't made any baby stuff before so thought I would check with those wiser than I before I start cutting. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Deecee
    The baby bib patterns I have seen all have binding around them. Is there a reason for this?

I had intended to sew around both layers, leaving a gap to turn them through then stitch a quarter inch inside edge - no binding.

I was using keyhole shape with velcro closure and terry towelling fabric.

I haven't made any baby stuff before so thought I would check with those wiser than I before I start cutting. :)
    Nothing wrong with your plan but I would guess that the main reason for having binding on bibs is to make them sturdier. They go through a lot of washings and a turned edge would likely weaken fairly quickly and start fraying.

The binding also can give them just alittle more color especially a contrast or focus color. Often the the binding is also just extended and used as the ties, although I prefer velcro or snaps on a bib.

i would think that would work great

I make bibs all the time and I turn like you said. After I turn, I reinforce my edges with a zig zag or just regular stitch. They hold up very well. I do not like putting the binding on. I never seem to be able to do a good job.

Blog Entries
    I would do it that way too. Binding is a pain when it's on a little curvy thing like a bib.

Blog Entries
    Turning right side out after sewing is fine.

How about a decorative stitch or even a zigzag instead of a straight stitch?

Thanks for the input everyone.

I am just wanting to whip up a few quick things so would be pleased to not have to bother with the binding.

I will certainly look at using either zig-zag or decorative stitching instead of straight stitching around the edge to both reinforce and to add a bit of colour/contrast.

Thanks again.

I do not bind mine as well. I just topstitch around the outside edge and they hold up nicely.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I used to make tem.No binding. They wont fray or weaken if you top stitch them. Also a cute way to use some of your decorative stitches on your machine.