Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby lock >

Baby lock

Baby lock

Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 PM

I presently have 2 old sewing machines ( a Capital purchased in 1965 and a Kenmore Purchased in 1985). Now that I've started quilting and have a beautiful sewing space, i would like a better machine...nothing too fancy. I'm looking at Baby Locks from local dealer.

My choices:
Audrey (A-line series) about $300 (very portable)
Grace " about $400
Sofia 2 " $650
Elizabeth $800 (most fancy stitches)

I really like Crazy quilting using fancy machine stitches
but embroidery is intriguing.

Anyone have one of these more basic Baby Locks and have any suggestions.

Remember I'm just beginning and can graduate to a more advanced machine at a later date.

Thanks so much for any suggestions and help.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM

We purchased a Grace last fall. It was intended for my 13 yo DD, but now that she is in school her sewing time is virtually non-existant. I, however, have been using it ;) and am quite pleased with it. DD will be using it this summer. So far its been a good machine!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM

I have the Sophia (not 2) and it's a nice little machine. I got it to do quilt labels with. So far I haven't made any but it sews nice.

I think you could probably get a better price if you watch for a sale. I know I've seen them for less at my dealer.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM

I have a Baby Lock Ellure. It's about eight years old. I love it.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:20 PM

Any choice would be good, babylocks are wonderful, I have the espire and love love it. The audrey is real small and light, probably a good choice for piecing, and taking to classes, but i do believe the harp is very small so machine quilting might be a little more difficult on it. I think the grace is brothers project runway machine I think, which are supposed to be more heavy duty and get very good ratings. I am not sure about the other 2 models, but from what most people say when you get the small embroidery machines, the size is very limited and most people want more. Its best to consider what is better for your needs.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM

The Baby Lock Quest Plus is being upgraded to the Serenade. Maybe you could find one on clearance for less than $1000. It has a 9" harp, built-in dual feed, and about 200 stitches in addition to the 2 alphabets and 11 buttonholes. I LOVE my BLQP, works like a dream. The dual feed is priceless for precise piecing, sewing long strips and stretchy fabrics.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I have the grace I got it for classes but mainly for my daugter to use. It's perfect for my 6 yr old. Super simple to use..
Old 04-12-2011, 06:33 PM

I agree with Maia. Sewing with a built in dual feed is wonderful. All the seams are even and you don't get 'tucks' on the back of quilts. Plus is comes with a large table and a lot of feet that all fit the dual feed.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:35 PM

If money is an issue, buy a used Babylock. They really take a beating and keep on going.My daughter bought a Babylock sewing/quilting machine about five years ago and she just ran the tar out of it. Did lots of custom embroidery for others and sewing for her own family. She is also a quilter. When she upgraded to a commercial embroidery Babylock, she sold her old one to her daughter and it is still going strong. I have a Babylock Ellageo ESG3 and it is a great machine.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:34 PM

I have a BL and love the features, but have lots of trouble with it. It is a BL Quest Pluss. My next machine will be a Elna Quilters Dream or a Viking Lilly