Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Lock? >

Baby Lock?

Baby Lock?

Old 04-16-2010, 03:16 PM

I have a portable Janome and a full size Kenmore machine. I have been looking at the Baby Lock machines. I heard that Brother makes the Baby Lock machines, just like Janome makes the Kenmore machines. Does anyone know if this is true? Anyone have a Baby Lock, if so, what kind do you have and how do you like it?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM

I've heard that Baby Lock makes Brother as a less expensive machine. I have a Baby Lock Quest Plus and I love it.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:27 PM

I have a Baby Lock Quilter's Choice Professional that I got about 1 1/2 years ago and I absolutely LOVE it! It sews like a champ (has a semi-industrial motor) and is very smooth and solid. Being a machine made for quilting, it doesn't have any fancy options - straight stitch only with 4 settings for the feed dogs. I have learned to FM with it as well. I highly recommend this machine. :thumbup:
Old 04-17-2010, 04:08 AM

Ahhh...so it is the other way around.....Baby Lock makes the Brother machines. Thanks for the correction! I love the idea of the Baby Lock Quilter's Choice Professional.....looks like an excellent machine. I have also had my eye on the Ellegante 2. (dreaming) I want a nice embroidery machine too.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:27 AM

I am not sure which one makes the other one, but I have a Brother 8500 that is the best sewing machine I have ever had and it embroiders, too, and I have a Bernina 1130 (dd uses it now), a Bernina 830 Record (great machine, too), Featherweight (worth its weight in gold!), and had a Viking 1+ (great, but sold it to buy the Brother 8500)!!!! These machines (which were all top of the line at one time) are quiet, so they hum when they sew - No Clack, Clack Clack is heard at all!!! Just a very light humming sound!!! All of these have stood the test of time, too!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Yes, it is true!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 AM

I have been using BabyLock machines for years, currently own Ellagante, Elure, Evolve Serger and just bought Juki TL98Q. I've been teaching machine embroidery and quilting classes at the local BabyLock store and most of my students have either a BabyLock or Brother machines. I love my machines and the only problem I've seen both in class and in my own machines is that the needle thread can get caught in the brass bearing and will cause the machine to seize. They best way to avoid this problem is to always cut your thread on the top of the machine and pull it out from the needle. If you have a thread that shreds or breaks inside, get a little flashlight and sewing tweezers and look for the wayward thread. I would be happy to help you with any questions, if I don't know the answers I know to to call to get the answers. BTW the Juki machine is the same as the Quilt Pro, they are both semi industrial and have a speed of 1500 SPM, are very easy to operate, easy to adjust tensions for 2 thread color quilting. The walking foot is heavy duty and has made me a lover of walking foot quilting and the compensating foot makes chain peicing quick and accurate. And no I don't work for the store and don't get commissions, just a huge fan.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:18 AM

I have the exact same machines as gail-r and I love the Baby Lock Ellegante for everything but piecing. I use the Juki 98Q for piecing.

Question for Gail-r. Do you ever use the serger for making quilts. I keep intending to try but haven't yet.

I also have the Embellisher but haven't really used it for anything. I let my grandson's play around with it when they are interested.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by gramfel
I am not sure which one makes the other one, but I have a Brother 8500 that is the best sewing machine I have ever had and it embroiders, too, and I have a Bernina 1130 (dd uses it now), a Bernina 830 Record (great machine, too), Featherweight (worth its weight in gold!), and had a Viking 1+ (great, but sold it to buy the Brother 8500)!!!! These machines (which were all top of the line at one time) are quiet, so they hum when they sew - No Clack, Clack Clack is heard at all!!! Just a very light humming sound!!! All of these have stood the test of time, too!
I have the brother too.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:19 AM

The Babylock is looking really good to me also. The price seems to be more reachable - but being a senior citizen, I wonder if I should jump in. I have so many machines already - and they are fine for different things - maybe I should wait? I heard there are no machines in Heaven, so I am torn!!!