Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby quilt question

Has anyone with a longarm ever quilted a baby quilt which is made of two thin layers of flannel and no batting? I have one to quilt and the customer doesn't want batting for fear it will be too heavy or too warm for a baby that lives in a very warm climate. Will the flannel stretch? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!

it shouldn't stretch...but it will shrink...I would quilt it fairly close so that it won't distort the designs with shinkage.

can you do a stitch around outside of each piece Before you put together on frame thats what I do when get fleece for backing. I have a Gammill longarm :):)

Oh thanks I didn't think about shrinkage!

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    it shouldn't stretch...but it will shrink...I would quilt it fairly close so that it won't distort the designs with shinkage.

That's a great idea too. Thanks for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltlonger
    can you do a stitch around outside of each piece Before you put together on frame thats what I do when get fleece for backing. I have a Gammill longarm :):)

If they pre-washed and heat dried the flannel it won't shrink but don't put a lot of tension on it when you load it because it will stretch.

my grandson (8yrs old now) has one that he has dragged around all these years and it's just 2 pieces of flannel. It has worn very well.

flannel is not really a stretch (knit) fabric- it is woven cotton-just woven looser than the cotton you are used to. it quilts easily-
    the flannel should be pre-washed before quilting (the backing-too late for the top if it is pieced.