Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Baby Quilt suggestions needed

I purchased a Moda Layer Cake (Butterfly Fling) while traveling. The local quilt shops don't carry Layer Cakes, therefore don't have patterns. I am having trouble finding a pattern to use for a baby quilt. This collection is just perfect for my friend's daughter who loves purple and pink.

Any suggestions for a pattern to use.

I'm thinking the best bet is a coin quilt but most of the ones I've seen use a white background. I don't think that's best for a baby quilt. I'm wondering if I can use one of the dots in the collection that "reads" as white/light. I'd have to purchase the fabric though.

any help,
    Monica4patience

You've probably seen this tutorial since you mentioned a coin quilt.

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/02/...aby-quilt.html

I think any light (or dark!) background could replace the white easily. Just look for contrast. Your layer cake will be perfect. Love that collection!

chele,

thank you for this tute. this proves the point i was trying to make in my thread called "on-line classes". i was trying to maintain that the web offers so much information that taking a class online for anywhere from $36 -$72 is not really necessary for a lot of people.

the prices i quoted are from quilting university.

Welcome to the board Monica from Southern California.

Thanks for the advice. Once I googled "stacked coin quilt" I came up with lots of quilts with non-white sashing. I decided to make 2 quilts with that pattern. The sashing for one will be the pink dotted tone-on-tone that "reads" as a light; with a pink butterfly backing. The second will be in yellow.

Hi Monica--glad you found a pattern for your layer cake. Be sure to show us the quilt when you finish it.

Welcome to the board!!