Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock Destiny -yes or no? >

Babylock Destiny -yes or no?

Babylock Destiny -yes or no?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 AM

Default Babylock Destiny -yes or no?

I am such a sewing machine addict. If I wrote down what I've had it's crazy. Let's see. I started with a Viking Rose, traded it with a lady who had a Bernina 180 who wanted to simplify (Bernina ladies don't stone me - one Bernina was quite enough). From there I bought and traded two Brother ULT's, a Janome - the list goes on.
OK, has anyone seen the new Babylock Destiny, I think Brother calls it's model the Dreamweaver? I didn't think I could be tempted, but good lord this thing is the bomb. And when I heard the list price I laughed. I mean really, $15,000. I think I read here where a Babylock rep told someone here that it was $17,000 at a show - now why would anyone say such a thing? I really wanted to see it in person - a terrible idea btw, and a local Brother dealer was just down from where I was having lunch - what's an addict to do??? I didn't ask, but this dealer sells close to retail, but they had none in - said they had just sold a "ton" at a show - no I didn't ask. I like these people but their prices are out there. I saved $2,000 on my 10 needle going to another dealer.
I know this is like asking a wino if you should stop drinking, but I need to be pulled from the ledge. I retire in two months, this is the end of my machine buying to the degree I do now. Babylock/Brother is offering a 3 year 0% plan for a week - next week. And my Babylock dealer has a really good price on it!
And I'll certainly have the time to learn this puppy!!!!! What to do, what to do? HELP talk me down - or not!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:47 AM

Sorry I say if you can afford it and want it go for it
Old 10-26-2014, 06:54 AM

I love Babylock. Mproblem here is the only dealer is a crook. I bought the TOL Bernina because the dealer is fantastic, they have all sorts of fun classes including mastery. And also, if anything goes wrong he will fix it or replace it. Everyone who works there is friendly and knowledgeable. It is a 110 mile round trip but well worth it.

I have heard that the Destiny is not a machine you will take anywhere, too big. My 880'is nearly there but I'll take it for 5 weeks of mastery classes, which are free with purchase.

I had a Babylock Crescendo but couldn't get any support and when the low bobbin sensor quit I was told it could not be fixed. This was 3 weeks after purchase. I sold it and went the Bernina route. Suffice it to say, if you have a wonderful dealer who knows the machine, go for it!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

You really need to be more confident for purchasing this machine. What does this DSM do that your others won't do. Is it worth the price?? I love my old Bernina 1530 and I am still quilting on it.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

For the price go with the best dealer with excellent customer service. I'm very hesitant about a machine that cost thousands because most dealers always try to make something not working right, work okay but not perfect, until the warranty goes out.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:35 AM

I am so sorry to hear that someone had a problem with their BabyLock dealer. Mine is absolutely the greatest, in fact, my mother and I have purchased all our machines from him - Mom started buying from him a long time ago, probably 40 years. I had a problem with the low bobbin sensor on my Espire and it was fixed with no problem. As for the Destiny, there is no way in the world I would pay that price, but if you can afford it, go for it. But I think it wise to wait because it always seems like when something new comes out within about 6 months something new and better is waiting in the wings to come out.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:47 PM

This is a really nice machine for sure. I understand there has ben a hick-up or two with it. My friend and I both have the Ellissimo with all the up grades and we are happy with them. But my friend liked the scanning feature on the Destiny. Then she learned about the problems and decided to wait until they work out the bumps in the road. Tahoe area has them for around $11,000.00. Babylock also has financing for 60 months. No interest. I would watch for that. It repeats every few weeks before Christmas. Sign up for the emails on the Babylock website and you will know when the next one is. Good Luck and enjoy!
Old 10-26-2014, 02:37 PM
JT

You might want to think about this some more. What kind of quilting do you do? Would you ever want a long arm, so you can finish your quilts yourself, no matter the size. You can buy a long arm for what this machine costs. Think it over and list your pluses and minuses.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Oh my, it is a wonderful machine! I used it for a day at a retreat and fell in love. Very smooth. I have an Ellisimo and love my machine but I am thinking about trading it in for the Destiny. I think I'll wait for a while though and see how the response is from those who will be owning the Destiny. It's nice to dream though. Good luck with holding out!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:45 PM

I traded in my Quattro for the Brother Dream Machine. My dealer is great. They gave package deal and a fair trade in price. The machine is quiet and does some neat things. You can scan a drawing and it will stitch it out. I love it.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg