Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BabyLock Ovation Serger question >

BabyLock Ovation Serger question

BabyLock Ovation Serger question

Old 04-19-2015, 09:24 AM

Default BabyLock Ovation Serger question

Is there any reason in the world I should not buy this serger?????
Anyone????

Grammahunt
Old 04-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Do you want it? Can you afford it? Will you use it?
Old 04-19-2015, 09:28 AM

Grammahunt, I want one too.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I bought a Babylock serger in the 90s and it has spent most of it's life in the closet. Just explain why you think you need a serger. Certainly NOT for quilting since they make very bulky seams. They are mostly for clothing construction. Wish I had NOT bought mine.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:08 AM

Bought my Babylock Imagine about ten years ago. I use mine all of the time, it has the jet threading system and LOVE it!! Best sewing item I ever bought!!!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:20 AM

Stitchnripper: yes, yes, and yes

I have a BabyLock Enlighten which I love, love, love! Like Maggie_Sue, I love the jet threading and use my serger all the time. Even for quilting. When I finish quilts I serge the edges (all three layers together) and the binding goes on smoother and tighter. I have made serged quilts too and it works well. I use sewing thread instead of serger thread and the seams are very strong. I like using it for home dec projects but my machine doesn't have a cover stitch which I have found myself wishing I had to numerous times.

I had a serger previously that I had to figure out how to thread--what a mess. It would take me 8 hours to get it threaded and usable. By that time I wouldn't have time to sew so I seldom used it. With the jet air threading I can change threads in just a couple minutes. I love my serger and use it but think I really would use and appreciate more versatility as comes with the Ovation. I have to justify the expense to myself (and no one else) and think I've talked myself into buying it. Thanks.

Last edited by Grammahunt; 04-19-2015 at 11:23 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 PM

I was tempted by BL promotion. Not the ovation, but a great discount on other model(sorry..can't remember name)!
Old 04-19-2015, 12:55 PM

I had an old serger that was a nightmare to thread. I got a BabyLock with the jet self threading.... why did I wait so long!!! Granted I don't use it as much as my regular sewing machine... but when I do, its a pleasure to use.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:18 PM

I'm thinking about buying one next year. back in the 1980s my mother-in-law wanted a surger so we bought her a baby lock. She had trouble using it and thought I would use it more so she gave it to me and I did make some outfits for my kids who were small at the time. It was such a pain to thread that I gave it away to a lady that loved it and used it a lot. She now has dementia and can't remember me giving it to her. I'm thinking about getting another one again maybe next year. I don't know why just because. I would like to try the jet air threader.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:23 PM

I am less then 5' tall and I have to hem everything. I bought one and I love it but I have a cottage in another state.
Walked into Goodwill and found one for $12. What luck! So now I have one at both places. My 4 brothers always want something hemmed too so I make them pay me. haha