Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BabyLock Tiara II - Should I buy it? >

BabyLock Tiara II - Should I buy it?

BabyLock Tiara II - Should I buy it?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM

Default BabyLock Tiara II - Should I buy it?

Hi Ladies. I'm new here but I have really been enjoying this board. I am considering buying the Baby Lock Tiara II quilting machine. I love that it has such a big throat space and I could easily quilt big quilts on it. However, I have found very few reviews on it. And I like to read a lot of reviews before I buy something (especially expensive items). Do any of you own one? Do you love it? Hate it? Know someone that loves theirs? I currently do all of my piecing on a Baby Lock Espire, which I love. If I don't buy the Tiara II, I was thinking about trading in my Espire on the Crescendo and then I would gain a larger throat space to quilt with and the laser light for piecing. I understand the differences in the machines and have played around on both in the store. What would you do? Keep the Espire and buy the Tiara? Or not buy the Tiara and instead get the Crescendo for piecing and quilting? Thanks so much for any advice!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

You didn't mention if you have test drove this LA. You need to really test drive the machine and maybe others to see what suits you best. It is a large investment just like a car. I would NEVER buy a car online without test driving it first. Large quilts show are the place to go if any are available near you. Good Luck and welcome to the board.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:55 AM

Yes, I have test-drove both. Only have money for one, not both. I am leaning toward buying the Tiara but would love to hear some reviews. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I am wondering if the reason you are looking at this particular machine is because the dealer is nearby.

Personally, I would want to compare several different brands of sitdown machines before making a purchase this large. I would especially be interested in the Innova 18" sitdown (no longer has stitch regulator sitting on machine; now hidden), the Sweet 16 from Handi Quilter, and the George from APQS. All of these brands have great track records and you can probably find quite a few personal reviews of them online. I couldn't find many reviews of the Babylock Tiara, probably because it has not been around as long and/or is not as popular for a sitdown machine. My biggest concern about the Babylock is probably with the complexity of the machine and possible tension issues, which I did see mentioned in more than one place online. Found this Youtube video that might help (be sure to read comments too):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBR8xcku5I

Personally, I would prefer to have one machine for piecing and another for quilting. Plus, isn't the harp size of the Crescendo substantially less than that of the Tiara and the other sitdowns? Larger harp size really helps when quilting, especially if you get one of the quilt suspension systems (such as Jenoop). You have to decide if the additional features of the Crescendo would make up for the more limiting harp size.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM

I have one and all i can say is once you learn how to keep it in tenison it a dream...i would only buy one from a near by dealer. It's easier to run over if you have any issues. My 2 cents! Lol....good luck.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:13 PM

The Tiara is the same inside as the Handiquilter Sweet 16. There are a few differences between the menus on the screen, but they are functionally the same and are built in the Handiquilter factory. You can find lots of reviews on the Sweet 16.

I love my S16, and I have had it for coming on 4+ years. Take a look at the Yahoo group for Sweet 16; lots of good information there. If you are trying to decide between the HQ and the Babylock, just compare prices and dealers. I do t think you would be disappointed with either one.

Pam
Old 02-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Betharoo ... Larger harp size is makes FMQing easier, though the S16/Tiara offers a lot more space, not in just the harp width but the heighth. There is significant additional height with this machine over a regular DSM. Plus there is little bulk coming off the top down to the needle. So much better visibility.
I've flip-flopped back and forth on this machine ... a big issue to me is how much it will be sitting idle, when I am piecing. I think it's a great machine (have test driven it several times) and while there are other bigger and better machines in this style on the market, it appears to have a pretty good reputation.

Take a look at previous threads here on the QB ... there's been lots posted about the S16 and it will give you a good sense as to what others are saying.

Prism ...
you said you would be interested in the Sweet 16 ... FYI it is the exact same machine as the Tiara! ... just a different paint job! There are at least two others too ... Pfaff and Viking, I think? .... I was just on the HQ site last night and it even has that noted on there (somewhere .. not sure where!)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Both are nice, that's a hard choice, you will probably find more reviews on the handiquilter sweet 16 sitdown , they have only been making them for babylock for a few years, but they are the same machine. I haven't tried it. Are they not giving you good trade in value on the espire because there should be a decent price difference for the crescendo and the tiara. It should actually be cheaper to do the crescendo. I have the brother version of the combo and love the features on it. I like it a lot more than my espire I had previously. I love the space on the tiara but you are giving up the pen, laser, muvit foot. I love these features and use them like crazy for my quilt making. If it were me I would get the crescendo and save for the tiara
Old 02-20-2015, 05:14 PM

Default Babylock Tiara II

I have had my Tiara for a little over 2 years and love, love, love it! I belong to the Sweet 16 Yahoo group. If you join, you'll be in touch with many owners of the Sweet 16 and the Tiara- which are the same machine just labeled differently. I love the dealer where I bought my Tiara. I also like the looks of the Tiara better than the Sweet 16 with its big pink label. I am sure others think their Sweet 16 is cuter. Isn't it great that we have a choice? Another sewing machine rebrands the machine (Janome?) It does boil down to dealer and price. Good luck! I don't think you'll regret the decision. I am not in a quilt-making business, and the machine will never "pay" for itself except in pleasure, creativity, and convenience.

Last edited by MsHeirloom; 02-20-2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

After I posted, I was talking to the HQ 1-800 people and confirmed ....
The HQ S16 is the same machine as the Tiara, as well as the Viking and Pfaff machines. All built by them ... all the same!

They also make the Babylock Crown Royal (and no other BLs).
I don't know this machine and didn't ask, but would suspect that HQ has their own model, which is basically the same.

So if you are buying any of them ... they should all be the same, as they are all made the same, just rebranded!