Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Babylock walking foot skipping stitches >

Babylock walking foot skipping stitches

Babylock walking foot skipping stitches

Old 11-18-2016, 02:14 PM

Unhappy Babylock walking foot skipping stitches

Hello I have a fairly new Babylock Soprano and have used the walking foot for binding in the past with no problems. This time I changed the needle and it started skipping stitches like crazy. I put another needle in and the problem is a little better. Does the Babylock require a special sewing machine needle? What type needle do you use? I mainly quilt on this machine and have never had a problem in the past. I also re threaded it twice and it still skips stitches.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:49 PM

My suggestion would be to first check the bobbin area and make sure there's not a little piece of thread caught there. Second, I'd look at the tension settings and see if a little tweak will help. Lastly, I'd consider changing the weight of the thread to see if that has any effect.

Thought of one more thing - does your machine have a pressure setting for your foot? Adjusting it may help.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:51 PM

Just an idea but my machine once did that when there was a wad of lint under the presser feet. It was enough to change the stitching mechanism.

Also found this article which is interesting about skipping stitches: http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...you-nuts1.html
Old 11-18-2016, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

When my BL acts up, I generally end up giving her a good cleaning and a new needle.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:51 AM

What brand needles do you use on your machine?
Old 11-19-2016, 04:52 AM

Thank you for the article very informative!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by girlygirlforme View Post
Hello I have a fairly new Babylock Soprano and have used the walking foot for binding in the past with no problems. This time I changed the needle and it started skipping stitches like crazy. I put another needle in and the problem is a little better. Does the Babylock require a special sewing machine needle? What type needle do you use? I mainly quilt on this machine and have never had a problem in the past. I also re threaded it twice and it still skips stitches.
I was having a problem yesterday after I changed the bobbin. Got the book out and the problem was, that there is a right and wrong way to put the bobbin in. Once I fixed it, it was good to go. This is a new machine so the bobbin was put in different than my last one.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM

I finally found my answer. I was told by a sewer on another site to use Organ sewing machine needles in this BL. Not sure why this brand, but when I changed it the problem was gone. No more skipped stitches! Yeh!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:40 AM

I want to add my recent experience in case some else runs into this same issue. I have a Baby Lock Journey and was having a problem with the walking foot skipping stitches. I tried all the usual fixes - new needle, check bobbin, cleaning lint out, etc - with no improvement. I had just had the machine serviced a few months ago but I ended up taking it back in because of the skipping. The technician called and said the problem was with the walking foot, not the machine and he made an adjustment to the walking foot to solve the problem. This really surprised me. I didn't know the walking foot could be the the reason for the skipped stitches and I'm so glad it's fixed.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:37 AM

A lot of times if there is a problem with the walking foot claw, the foot will not work properly. I run into this problem all of the time, especially with old Bernina walking feet. When you move the claw up and down, the piece on top of the sole should move as well. When the piece on top of the sole no longer moves, the dealer must go inside and oil the foot for it to work again.

If the above is not the problem, sometimes adjusting the tension on the screw on sole will solve the problem. Sometimes the walking foot sole is just screwed on to tight! Just loosen the sole screw and try again.