Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back to basics, needles and thimbles >

Back to basics, needles and thimbles

Back to basics, needles and thimbles

Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Just want to mention that Warm and Natural is not the best batting for hand quilting. It is needlepunched through scrim, and the scrim adds an extra layer for the needle to push through. A batting such as Hobbs 80/20 would be much easier to hand needle.
Oh wow, thanks for the tip. I will remember that for next time. Perhaps that is adding to my problem. Hmm!

One more thing I'm getting out of this thread. I probably need to begin quilting with my middle finger instead of my index finger. That was always the most comfortable for me, and I do switch off now and then, but perhaps I should perfect that middle finger thing.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by rural01 View Post
One more thing I'm getting out of this thread. I probably need to begin quilting with my middle finger instead of my index finger. That was always the most comfortable for me, and I do switch off now and then, but perhaps I should perfect that middle finger thing.
Actually, if your index finger is most comfortable, continue using it because it probably doesn't matter - in fact, Alex Anderson uses her index finger.

When I started, I used my ring finger. I switched to my middle finger when my hand began to hurt.

Janet
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by rural01 View Post
Oh, Honey, You quilt your way. We are giving you hints, but there is no one way. Some people quilt toward themselves, some quilt left or right. I've even quilted away from myself with my thimble on my thumb (not very often!). Some people don't use thimbles at all. Some people use frames & some people use hoops. There ways to hand quilt that you should quilt your way.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland View Post
Actually, if your index finger is most comfortable, continue using it because it probably doesn't matter - in fact, Alex Anderson uses her index finger.

When I started, I used my ring finger. I switched to my middle finger when my hand began to hurt.

Janet
Actually, I can use either my index finger, middle finger, or thumb. Maybe Alex Anderson is the one that inspired my index finger. I used to watch her show religiously, long before I ever picked up a needle. Simply Quilts was really an inspiration. Thanks Janet, you're right. Comfort probably is the most important thing.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Oh, Honey, You quilt your way. We are giving you hints, but there is no one way. Some people quilt toward themselves, some quilt left or right. I've even quilted away from myself with my thimble on my thumb (not very often!). Some people don't use thimbles at all. Some people use frames & some people use hoops. There ways to hand quilt that you should quilt your way.
Thanks Bev, you are so right! Just with this thread, it is clear that there is a real variety in how individuals like to do things. I love that. BTW, for some reason I do really nice work with my thumb. I guess that makes me a two-way quilter.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 AM

I've always used the warm & natural, and don't find it difficult - but I suppose it is what you get used to using. I don't like the 100% polyester battings - I struggle to get consistent stitch length - but again, it's probably what one gets use to using.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Just want to mention that Warm and Natural is not the best batting for hand quilting. It is needlepunched through scrim, and the scrim adds an extra layer for the needle to push through. A batting such as Hobbs 80/20 would be much easier to hand needle.
Scrim? What's that?!? I am hand quilting with this and keep bending my needles within 10 minutes of starting. Right now, I'm so ready to finish this quilt!! That's sad too. It was hand pieced by my mother and sister, both have now passed away.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan View Post
Scrim? What's that?!? I am hand quilting with this and keep bending my needles within 10 minutes of starting. Right now, I'm so ready to finish this quilt!! That's sad too. It was hand pieced by my mother and sister, both have now passed away.
Scrim holds the fibers together so you don't have to quilt so closely. I think it's usually a fine layer of polyester or some other fabric.

If you're bending your needles, try loosening up the tension on the sandwich.

Janet