Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back-basting applique >

Back-basting applique

Back-basting applique

Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 PM

I had not heard of this method either, but I found this tutorial:

http://sentimentalstitches.net/instr...hand-applique/

I have just learned to applique using a wonderful book called 'The New Applique Sampler: Learn to Applique the Piece 'O Cake Way.'

They teach needle turn applique using laminate sheets to make the easy to cut templates, and positioning with a vinyl overlay. I haven't experienced any other way, but this seems really simple and enjoyable to me, and I'm wondering what those of you who prefer back basting applique feel is the advantage of that, over the needle turn, because it looks like you're adding the extra step of basting.

Having gone back to look, I see that the back basting would eliminate the tracing of the shapes. I can see where this would be appealing.

Last edited by joe'smom; 06-05-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:03 PM

Suz, I googled 'back basted applique' and got the same site as above. It's not a video but there are some great photos that make the process understandable. At least I think that's the case.

The problem I've had with needle turn applique is that the fabric tends to move and I don't get a smooth finish. This back basting method would eliminate that problem for me.

I'm going to try this out tomorrow... or maybe Saturday because I have to go with my DH to the doctor tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes.

Last edited by nanna-up-north; 06-05-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Suz

I think one of the most valuable advantages of BBA, is the placement of pieces. I recall several years working on a design by Robert Callaham and I could not fit all of his pieces onto the background thus some leftovers. The Callaham design was just a picture of how they should fit into place, not an actual complete pattern. W/BBA, the placement is precise.

Also, needleturn is the method used once the basting is complete for each individual piece. For those of you who are following this thread, note that the leaves is under the stem. Be sure to look at the link from above. This is why they were stitched into place first and then the stem.

The tute Joe's Mom and Nanna, is excellent and I think much clearer than my wordy explanation. Thank you, ladies.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:51 AM

I also love BBA. I have a project that I am working on. This applique has LOTS of overlapping (maybe 'should' have chosen another method).... but the back basting method still works.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:49 AM

I just got a new book on back basting applique and I love it. I took on a block of the month Talavera and I was getting so frustrated. I've appliqued before but I appliqued Hawaiian quilts which are one big piece of fabric. Appliqueing little bits of fabric is much different. I was ready to quit but I pressed on and then found the back basting book. It is a great method.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM

No this is not back basting, what you are doing is an invisible or hidden stitch for your applique. Back Basting is when you lay out the fabric you will be appliquing and actually baste it in place around the seam allowances from the back of your large block background, you use no pins.Then you turn it to the front and turn under the seam allowance area and remove a short distance of stitches as you do the needle turn applique on top.