Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back-basting applique >

Back-basting applique

Back-basting applique

Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Suz

Default Back-basting applique

I love to applique. I love to applique. I have tried many applique methods and have fallen in love with the back-basting applique method. I find it to be the most accurate when placing an applique piece. I do have difficulty w/small circles or berries and use the spray starch to prepare them, both otherwise find BBA the easiest method for me.

Does anyone share in this love for BBA? Just wondering!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 AM

I resemble that..this is the methods I learned first when I joined a appliqué monthly group at LQS. Just seemed to click there is a site that has an excellent tutorial on this method (at the minute I do not remember name, however I know I can find it if anyone would like it). I used this method on my Dear Jane appliqué blocks also.
Good memories here

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 06-04-2014, 07:02 AM

Yup! When nothing else will do!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:23 AM

I love to applique but I don't know what back-basting is. Is there a tutorial? Or can you explain? Thanks.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 AM

I would love to know what BBA is??? I have never heard of it. Can you send us a link? Thanks.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Suz

I'll try to explain. Let us assume the pattern is a flower, stem and leaves. The whole pattern must be marked on the reverse side of your background fabric. Using a light box or window, tape the pattern down first and then center the background over the pattern. Use a marker with a somewhat fine point or light pencil marks. I prefer to use the Fixion pen. I also use the Clover pen if marking on lighter fabrics. Both of these disappear when touched by an iron.

Since the stem is to be stitched on first, cut the stem fabric large enough to cover the entire stem. Stick pins thru from the back to give an idea of where the stem starts and finishes. Pin in place from the top side. Hold up to the light and make sure all of the stem is covered. Now, from the back side baste along both sides of the stem using -1/4" long stitches. Turn over and see the basting stitches. Using your Fixion pen, draw a dotted line between the basting stitches. This dotted/basted line will be your turn-under line. Trim excess to 1/4" from the dotted/basted line. Clip inward curves as you come to them. Using needleturn method of applique, stitch the stem into place, clipping the basting thread out of the way as you stitch.

Leaf, assuming it is under the flower petals, therefore to be stitched first. Any area of the leaf that is overlapped by a petal does not need to be needleturned. Using big stitches secure this part. Otherwise, cut a large piece of green, stick pins from the tip and base of the leaf (and width if necessary) for placement, baste as before, make dotted line, trim, needleturn. -- Leaves along the side of the stem are usually free standing (for lack of a better word) and can be done whenever.

Petal, chose one that has overlaps, working each petal from background to the forward as you progress to complete the flower. The center of the flower will be last and should cover all of the petal ends.

Note: the design will be the reverse of the pattern; think negative/positive and make changes as necessary.

When the entire design is appliqued, press (no scrubbing) the design into a towel so you don't crush the applique. Spritz lightly with starch, if you want. Touch up any Fixion pen marks that remain on the right side with the tip of your iron.

Stand back and admire.

PS: Fixion pens are available at LQSs and come in many colors. I have black or navy and the Clover white.

I hope this is clear. If not, please ask and I'll be more prompt in responding.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:14 PM

I do not like a lot of prep work and this method seems to work the best for me. I have tried overlay and some of the other methods but always go back to back basting. I, too, love applique.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:21 PM

WoW! I did a google search and found an easy tutorial for this method. This is a new one for me but I'm certainly going to try it. It sure beats tracing and cutting out all those freezer paper pieces. I'm working on a baby quilt right now and will try this..... and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Suz

nanna, Please share the tutorial site. I looked under YouTube and came up empty. The one you found may make my instructions clearer. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

A friend is teaching me an applique technique she learn in a class where you catch the bottom folded edge of the 1/4" turn seam allowance so the stitches don't show. Not sure if this is called BBA.