Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Back from Pigeon Forge Quiltfest >

Back from Pigeon Forge Quiltfest

Back from Pigeon Forge Quiltfest

Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 AM

Default Back from Pigeon Forge Quiltfest

My DH and I went to the Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge, and we both enjoyed it. The convention center is beautiful, as always the quilters are friendly to everybody, and all the quilts were BEAUTIFUL!!!
We went to both the A and B sessions of the bed turnings. It was interesting to find out that if you
have an old top that was never finished you can finish it using muslim as the backing, quilt it in the
same type pattern that it would have been, and put a label on saying when it was started and when
finished. It doesn't make it "new" again.
The youth quilts were something else. Their seam lines and points could put us to shame. LOL
Some were only 8 yrs. old.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 AM

I wish this show wasn't in March. I just never dare to plan to attend as you just don't know what the weather is going to be. I'm glad you both enjoyed yourselves.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Thank you for posting. I always wonder what the shows are like in different areas, and I'vd been thinking about this one. Maybe next year.

Also I heard some shows were getting picky about only accepting new quilts...as in made within the past year. Apparently people were adding more quilting or something and re-entering in a different show? It makes you wonder where they get all the quilts when there are so many more shows now!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:20 PM

Doggramma, They were only talking about the tops that maybe your mom's or grandma's to keep not to put in the show. The woman Mrs. Palmer was an appraiser that was telling about if you found an older quilt top in a store or cedar chest.
I know some shows are picky about what you can put in them.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:42 PM

We went there too and really enjoyed it. I agree, there were some beautiful quilts there! The convention center is absolutely beautiful!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

My late dear friend owned a cabin (more like a luxury home, huge) in Pigeon Forge and sent me pictures of some of the most beautiful quilts. Sent me a coffee mug from there also. That was about 2010.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 AM

Thank you, Grannie CheeChee, for explaining about the old quilt tops. I bet those were interesting to see. Nice to honor the old tops.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 AM

I got an email about this show and would love to go someday, it's on my bucket list.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 AM

I was there too and was blessed by having my picture taken with Eleanor Burns, she is one of my favorite quilters. She is excellentl at explaining how to make her designs, so easy that I was able to make a quilt for my nieces wedding when I had hardly quilted. It was a lovely show and I hope many of you can make it next year.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Bonnie Hunter posted 61 pictures taken at A Mountain Quiltfest, Pigeon Forge. Her site is http://www.quiltville.blogspot.ca Click on the read more link and then the picture box.