Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Backing for Bib

Backing for Bib

Hi there! I went fabric shopping and went flannel crazy at joanns!!! I am making some baby blankets and want to do some burp cloths and bibs, but I am having a hard time figuring out the backing. If I use flannel for the top would you use a terry cloth or a minky soft fabric for the backing. I am thinking with the terry cloth it would be a little more absorbent, but I have never used terry cloth with flannel. Any opinions or tips would be great!!! Thank you!!!

I've made lots of bibs & found that old quilted bed protectors are great. Found at thrift stores. Terry cloth works well too.
    I have used the fusible vinyl for front, to keep them from absorbing too much.
    Happy sewing!
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~
    ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Power Poster
    I did do burp clothes with flannel on one side and terry cloth on the other. They turned out fine and I top stitched about 1/4 inch in from the edge to keep the edge nice. I did a bit of quilting in the center so that they would keep their shape when washed.

Thank you for the info. I also am getting ready to make some.

Thanks so much for the tips that will let me practice some quilting going through the whole cloth. Did you prewash the flannel and terry cloth before hand? Would the flannel shrink more than terry cloth?

The burp cloths I've made are flannel (same fabric) on the front & back & work well. I always preshrink my flannel.
    I haven't worked with terry cloth for years but I seem to remember that it shed quite a bit where you did your cut.

Blog Entries
    I just finished making bibs for my DGS. I bought a pack of cloth diapers to use as burp cloths and he doesn't need those anymore so now they are backings for the bibs. Much easier to sew then Minkee or terry cloth.
    Got fabric?

Senior Member craftygal63@yahoo.com's Avatar
    I use flannel backed dollar store vinyl tablecloths...with the vinyl side in the middle. Soft on the outside, and the vinyl protects the clothing the baby wears.

Thanks ladies great ideas!!!

Connecting Threads sells "laminated" fabric....for rain gear and such....would be great backer for baby items

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast