Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: backing/binding

I was wondering if the backing of a quilt could be brought to the front and used instead of binding? Is this done at all?

I did this with a wall hanging that my SIL had started before she got sick. There wasn't enough fabric left to make binding, and instead of buying something to contrast I just decided to pull it around the front and tack it down like a binding. It worked fine and I think it looked OK. Will be interested to see if anyone else has done this!

I have a quilter friend this is all she does and it is beautiful. Worked perfectly for her. I have not tried it just the old fashion way. I say go for it! And welcome to our board!!

Blog Entries
    Self-binding using the backing is a very old method, has been done for many many decades.

Blog Entries
    i do it whenever my backing fabric coordinates well with the fabs in the top.

it takes good pressing/pinning; but you could probably use the elmers glue method to hold it for stitching doing it this way. i have not tried the gluing methods yet, but i have done self-binding on a couple quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    Self-binding using the backing is a very old method, has been done for many many decades.

This is absolutely true....that is how they used to do it years ago and many people still do it that way today.

I use this method all the time for our Community quilts that our guild gives away. I also use it on quick quilts that are going to get a lot of use. It's a fast way to get done and I find that it wears well. I just cut my backing fabric 1" wider, fold under 1/4", wrap to front making sure everything is tucked in and top stitch on the front sometimes using a machine decorative stitch. It looks great and unless you were a quilter you would never know that I hadn't applied a separate binding. It's guaranteed to match! My MIL who is still quilting at 87 has always finished her quilts this way and she learned it from her grandmother in the 30's.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know alot of people that do it. I read somewhere if you make your own binding it is stronger.

Yup, that is the only way my grandmother did hers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast