Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Backing- Do you piece your backing or use the larger widths?

I usually piece my backs. Have only used the wide stuff once.

In my first years of quilting I used to sew a seam down the center with 45" wide fabric to make it the right size, but for the last 5 or 6 years I have been using the wide pieces of muslin fabric.

Blog Entries
    I've also done both. Lately just because I live so far from the store and I didn't have enough of my chosen backing fabric...I've pieced them. The one I'm working on now was pieced with blocks made from the leftover trimmings from blocks on the front...Just randomly placed strips of blocks. The hard part is to make sure they are straight and obviously..I'm not good at that part yet :oops:

farscapegal
    It always depends on the quilt I am making. My back has to reflect what I have done on the front. I won't put just anything. I am as picky about my backing fabric as I am about what is on the front.

Sybil

Thanks for the wonderful responses. So Far I have used wide muslin, but I am working on a baseball quilt for my son for nap time at school and want it large enough for him to use as he grows up. I want to use something more fun than beige muslin and I am having problems finding something I like. I might end up pieceing it.

Thanks!

I have yet to do a pieced back, but the more I see the more I like them. So much effort goes into the front, a plain back is a bit of a cop out really.

Having said that, one of my favourite quilts I've done is a throw for the couch and it's backed with a single piece of lime green faux fur. The kids love it, they love the texture, and it's definitely the all round favourite in this house.

Blog Entries
    Always pieced - I never have used the wide stuff.

Both.

If piecing the back, I use one piece of fabric at its regular width, then rip the other down the center and sew them to either side of the wider one. No seams in the middle.

I piece the back if I can't find something just right or decide to use one of the fabrics from the front.

It's all in what you're going for in the finished product.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Having said that, one of my favourite quilts I've done is a throw for the couch and it's backed with a single piece of lime green faux fur. The kids love it, they love the texture, and it's definitely the all round favourite in this house.
    lime green faux fur??

sounds ---- um ---- interesting :shock:
    bet it's snuggly

Iv'e done both, just depends on the quilt size and if it's for a show or just cuddling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast