Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Backing- Do you piece your backing or use the larger widths?

I have done both, but especially like using packed prints, bc it hides stitching. I do want my back to have colors like front.
    Will be piecing in future for larger bed quilts, bc I am learning how to quilt in sections. (book by marti mitchell). I have fibro. and I think this will definitely be better for me.
    It's a great book for those interested. Easier than you would think. If you like lap or baby size quilts, It's just like making four or whatever, (she has about 6 different ways to choose from), and putting them together. C

Any easy way to back your quilt without wasting material is the John Flynn method. Just go to his website for instructions. You don't need wider fabric for his method. :lol:

i wait until joann's has a 50% off coupon then i buy their $9.95 wide backing.
    it has the feel of a really nice soft muslin, is printed in several colors, and at 1/2 price and no shipping, i don't think it can be beat.

THANK YOU, BUTTERFLYWING! that is an exxxxcellent idea. sometimes i can't use coupon or end up saving on a very low cost item. :D

I also use that coupon on a quilt book I have been wanting or a large quantitiy of rolled batting.

dlf22quilting wrote:
    I also use that coupon on a quilt book I have been wanting or a large quantitiy of rolled batting.

another great idea. i have used it on books before, but batting and backing are fixin to be a lot more accessible to me now! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer
    I have done both, depending on what I have on hand. I found some wide backings in wonderful colors last fall and stocked up on some. :)
    Shadow, when you buy ahead, not knowing how much you'll need (for the size of your yet-to-be-made quilt), how much of the wide fabric do you purchase?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4